BYU basketball: WCC honors Brandon Davies, Noah Hartsock, Kristen Riley, Lexi Eaton
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
PROVO — Three BYU players were honored by the West Coast Conference on Tuesday.
Carlino was also included on the All-Freshman team.
Saint Mary's guard Matthew Dellavedova, who led to Gaels to their first league title since 1989, earned WCC Player of the Year honors. Dellavedova, who is a finalist for the Bob Cousy Award, emblematic of the nation's top point guard, leads the WCC in assists per game with 6.6 and ranks third in scoring at 16.4 points per contest in WCC play.
Gonzaga center Rob Sacre was named defensive player of the year after ranking among the league leaders in rebounds (6.3 per game) and tied for the WCC lead with 25 blocked shots.
Gonzaga guard Kevin Pangos was the league's newcomer of the year. And Loyola Marymount's Max Good was voted the WCC coach of the year. Good led the Lions to a 19-win campaign despite dealing with significant player injuries early in the season.
BYU WOMEN HONORED: BYU's Kristen Riley was named West Coast Conference women's basketball Player of the Year on Tuesday, while Cougar guard Lexi Eaton was named the co-newcomer of the year, along with Gonzaga's Haiden Palmer.
Eaton was also included on the All-Freshman team.
Riley and guard Haley Steed were also voted to the All-Conference team. Riley led BYU in scoring (11.8 points per game) and rebounding (7.9 rpg). In conference games, she ranked fifth in scoring, first in rebounding, fourth in field goal percentage, second in 3-point field goal percentage, fifth in blocked shots and first in defensive rebounds. Riley also recorded eight double-doubles and became the 22nd player in school history to score 1,000 points in her career.
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 48
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 39
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26