BYU basketball: Rose a finalist in Coaches' Charity Challenge
PROVO — While BYU coach Dave Rose is busily preparing to help his team advance in the upcoming West Coast Conference Tournament, Rose has already reached the final round of an even more important cause.
Infiniti, an official corporate sponsor of NCAA men's basketball, announced this week that Rose is one of four finalists in the Coaches' Charity Challenge, where fans can vote for their favorite coach and his charity. The winning charity receives $100,000.
Rose's Children with Cancer Christmas Foundation is moving closer to receiving the $100,000, along with three other coaches — West Virginia's Bob Huggins, Missouri's Frank Haith, and Ohio State's Thad Matta.
Fans can vote every day from now until March 8 at promo.espn.go.com/espn/contests/infiniti/2012/.
Rose became involved with the Children with Cancer Christmas Foundation in the late 1990s, when he and his wife, Cheryl, were invited to serve on the foundation's committee.
Every year, the Cougar basketball program assists children with cancer, and their families, by staging a party attended by players and coaches that includes gifts, a dinner and a visit from Santa Claus and Cosmo.
The annual event took on deeper meaning for Rose and his family after he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer during the summer of 2009. Rose nearly died, and he overcame astronomical odds in surviving pancreatic cancer.
Since then, Rose's cancer scans have come back normal. The Rose family feels an even stronger connection, and a more profound empathy for, families that struggle with cancer.
- Hayward looking like Captain America early in...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon features BYU,...
- Ansah, Wagner or Weddle: Which local had the...
- What you may have missed: UConn fan's pleas...
- BYU's defense, among nation's leaders in...
- Gary Crowton resigns as SUU offensive...
- ESPN's Brett McMurphy: 'I actually should...
- Home hasn't been so sweet in Pac-12 play
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 56
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 44
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 38
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 34
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 23
- Dick Harmon: Mangum uses chunk yardage... 22
- Morning links: Kyle Whittingham 'doing... 20