BYU basketball: Rose a finalist in Coaches' Charity Challenge
PROVO — While BYU coach Dave Rose is busily preparing to help his team advance in the upcoming West Coast Conference Tournament, Rose has already reached the final round of an even more important cause.
Infiniti, an official corporate sponsor of NCAA men's basketball, announced this week that Rose is one of four finalists in the Coaches' Charity Challenge, where fans can vote for their favorite coach and his charity. The winning charity receives $100,000.
Rose's Children with Cancer Christmas Foundation is moving closer to receiving the $100,000, along with three other coaches — West Virginia's Bob Huggins, Missouri's Frank Haith, and Ohio State's Thad Matta.
Fans can vote every day from now until March 8 at promo.espn.go.com/espn/contests/infiniti/2012/.
Rose became involved with the Children with Cancer Christmas Foundation in the late 1990s, when he and his wife, Cheryl, were invited to serve on the foundation's committee.
Every year, the Cougar basketball program assists children with cancer, and their families, by staging a party attended by players and coaches that includes gifts, a dinner and a visit from Santa Claus and Cosmo.
The annual event took on deeper meaning for Rose and his family after he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer during the summer of 2009. Rose nearly died, and he overcame astronomical odds in surviving pancreatic cancer.
Since then, Rose's cancer scans have come back normal. The Rose family feels an even stronger connection, and a more profound empathy for, families that struggle with cancer.
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 81
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 20
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 8
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 7