With 'Courageous,' Sherwood Pictures solidifies the viability of religion-themed movies
However, Craig cautions that if Sherwood seeks to significantly expand its audience, trouble could follow.
"The risk … is that they either violate their 'implied' contract with their audience by producing a film outside of their interests and/or they become mesmerized by talent and mainstream projects with bigger budgets," he said. "There is a cap on the value of these audiences with limited cross-platform and global distribution opportunities, so they must be careful to not become too ambitious."
Whatever the future may hold for the Kendricks and their cohorts at Sherwood, the successes they've already achieved will resonate for years to come by catalyzing a whole new generation of self-starting filmmakers.
"Throughout it all," Flaherty said, "they have built a trustworthy brand and are inspiring a new generation of storytellers to transition from the 'talking about making movies' business to the 'making movies' business."
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Wright Words: Christmas Jars tradition...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Ann and Mitt Romney...
- Julie Andrews missed NBC's live 'Sound of Music'
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- Ballet West's 'Nutcracker' a splendid success
- Sundance to premiere 117 independent feature...
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for family...
- 'Deseret News Sunday Edition' looks at... 10
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for... 9
- Toddler basketball star,... 5
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: What if negative... 5
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be... 5
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Ann and Mitt... 4
- Wright Words: Christmas Jars tradition... 2
- Donor offers $5 million to help protect... 1