Black River Entertainment, Associated Press
Craig Morgan, "This Ole Boy" (Black River)
At a time when country music's pop leanings have fans questioning the genre's elasticity, Craig Morgan leaves no doubt about what he sings. For 12 years, Morgan has filled albums with imagery of the rural south, with hits such as "Redneck Yacht Club" and "That's What I Love About Sunday," helping set a predominant country music trend toward upbeat songs about family, home, pickup trucks, and old-fashioned values.
As the title "This Ole Boy" suggests, Morgan's latest album keeps his working boots planted in farmland soil. The title song, a current country radio hit, establishes Morgan's point-of-view: He's a regular guy who couldn't be happier about the life he leads.
Fortunately, Morgan and longtime co-producer and co-writer Phil O'Donnell match his optimistic lyrics with infectious, good-time arrangements. The album only falters when Morgan, a 47-year-old father who spent more than a decade in the Army, adopts a more brazen, rocking attitude. The songs "Show Me Your Tattoo" and "Corn Star" objectify wild women in ways better left to younger performers.
But when he's suggesting modern life could use more home-cooked meals ("The Whole World Needs A Kitchen") or recalling a youthful seduction spent on a quiet lake ("Fish Weren't Bitin'''), Morgan exemplifies why country music continues to offer a distinctly likeable worldview.
CHECK OUT THIS TRACK: The mid-tempo "Love Loves A Long Night" sways like a gentle midnight breeze as it details a couple's sweetly romantic evening spent on a blanket under a star-lit sky.
- Disney ending funding to Boy Scouts in 2015...
- Girl Scouts asked to end partnership with Barbie
- Obama administration allows 2-year extension...
- New Ukraine prime minister: Crimea will...
- 23 Mormon missionaries in Ukraine transferred...
- Looking to win a battle in the 16th century?...
- US announces visa restrictions on Russians
- Former baseball star Mariano Rivera rescues,...
- No longer loyal to Boy Scouts of... 51
- Obama administration allows 2-year... 22
- Putin: Russia has right to use force in... 21
- Disney ending funding to Boy Scouts in... 20
- Thousands march in pro-invasion rally... 11
- Obama appeals to Democrats in 2015... 11
- Former IRS official Lois Lerner again... 10
- Ukrainian software professionals... 10