Brad Rock: Rock on: Jimmer Fredette in horse race to winner's circle
Andy King, Associated Press
Much was made of unheralded Jeremy Evans winning Saturday's All-Star slam-dunk competition. But there was also a report by the Associated Press that said Evans "slammed two basketballs while jumping over a seated assistant ..."
That would be Jazz teammate Gordon Hayward.
What does that make Derrick Favors, a "member of the TV production crew?"
Aspiring rapper T.J. Fredette, brother of you-know-who, tweeted last week about Sacramento Kings coach Keith Smart keeping Jimmer on the bench.
The elder Fredette wrote, "...can we please get rid of this interim coach who should be an assistant at best and bring in a real head coach!"
A day later, Jimmer Fredette told the Sacramento Bee that he had set things straight with his brother.
"He obviously regrets it," Fredette told the Bee. "He's sorry and I'm sorry on behalf of him as well. It's something that will never happen again. It will be controlled, and he realizes that. We just apologize to everybody, coaches, teammates and everybody."
Not to mention the large but tight-knit white rapper community.
Speaking of Jimmer, is there still anyone out there who questions whether he's a winner?
Question no more.
Jimmer — the horse, not the man — won his debut in the 10th race at Oaklawn Park in Arkansas on Saturday. The 3-year-old won by a length and a half with a time of 1 minute, 11.50 seconds.
Jimmer the ballplayer?
Let's just say he's been a bit slower coming out of the gates.
ONE AND DONE
And Jim Boylen thought he got a raw deal.
He lasted four years as Utah's basketball coach before being fired.
Brazilian soccer coach Nem was introduced to the media last Monday, but was jettisoned two days later after XV de Jau lost 3-1 to Flamengo.
Club president Jose Construtor said Nem "made poor choices" and "we need results, I'll find another coach."
Rock On has a suggestion for the club: Has it ever considered looking into Rent-a-Coach?
WHIFF OF SUCCESS
Brad Dickson, Omaha World-Herald: "The Yankees organization unveiled the 'N.Y. Yankees cologne.' It costs $37 million for four years."
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- Morning links: Utah, USU pick up commitments...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 54
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 41
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 39
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35