Amy Sancetta, Associated Press
LOS ANGELES — The world should plan on hearing a lot more from Jean Dujardin, the handsome and expressive actor whose portrayal of a silent film star has won him acting's top honor.
The actor, dubbed a French George Clooney, beat out the real Clooney on Sunday night for the best actor Oscar, capping a run of accolades heaped on him and "The Artist" in recent months.
"I love your country," the first Frenchman to win an acting Oscar said as he accepted the award.
He looked out on the audience packed with Hollywood's top stars and declared: "I love your country," adding: "So many of you here tonight have inspired me."
Dujardin singled out the first Oscar host, silent screen star Douglas Fairbanks, as helping make his remarkable success possible.
In "The Artist," Dujardin portrays a silent film superstar who falls from grace as talking pictures are introduced and he is upstaged by a beautiful starlet he once aided. Audiences virtually never hear from him in the film. In real life, Dujardin has relied on an English interpreter at times as he scooped up Golden Globe, Screen Actors Guild and other awards.
Throughout the process he has remained humble, self-deprecating and genuinely appreciative of his newfound stardom.
Dujardin's win came over Clooney and three first-time nominees, Demian Bichir, Brad Pitt and Gary Oldman.
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican...
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by to watch
- 9 films advance in Oscars shortlist for best...
- The Associated Press' top 10 movies of the year
- 10 years on, where did all the tsunami debris...
- Spain hands out $3B in planet's biggest lottery
- 'Hobbit' goes out on top with $90.6 million...
- Police: Fugitive killed Florida officer
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 33
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 19
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,... 17
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 16
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by... 13
- Going it alone, Obama rocked the boat... 11
- Utah mourners for Pakistani children... 8
- Obama declares 2014 'a breakthrough... 7