Amy Sancetta, Associated Press
LOS ANGELES — The world should plan on hearing a lot more from Jean Dujardin, the handsome and expressive actor whose portrayal of a silent film star has won him acting's top honor.
The actor, dubbed a French George Clooney, beat out the real Clooney on Sunday night for the best actor Oscar, capping a run of accolades heaped on him and "The Artist" in recent months.
"I love your country," the first Frenchman to win an acting Oscar said as he accepted the award.
He looked out on the audience packed with Hollywood's top stars and declared: "I love your country," adding: "So many of you here tonight have inspired me."
Dujardin singled out the first Oscar host, silent screen star Douglas Fairbanks, as helping make his remarkable success possible.
In "The Artist," Dujardin portrays a silent film superstar who falls from grace as talking pictures are introduced and he is upstaged by a beautiful starlet he once aided. Audiences virtually never hear from him in the film. In real life, Dujardin has relied on an English interpreter at times as he scooped up Golden Globe, Screen Actors Guild and other awards.
Throughout the process he has remained humble, self-deprecating and genuinely appreciative of his newfound stardom.
Dujardin's win came over Clooney and three first-time nominees, Demian Bichir, Brad Pitt and Gary Oldman.
- 19 little-known facts about the Mission:...
- 31 things you might not know about the Harry...
- 13 baby names that are making a comeback
- The one thing you may be giving your children...
- Job insecurity is the new normal. Here's how...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- What went right: How one Orem family turned...
- Abortion supporters get help from federal...
- Religious groups react to Boy... 79
- Trump's call for mass deportations runs... 18
- Obama administration wants to give... 15
- Abortion supporters get help from... 15
- The lie behind the idea that ‘sex... 15
- Obama to extend college Pell grants to... 12
- Sanders rallies supporters in... 11
- Clinton charity donors surge amid... 11