Real Salt Lake defeated in Desert Diamond Cup against Los Angeles Galaxy, 2-0
TUCSON, Ariz. — David Beckham's insertion in the second half and red cards to Ned Grabavoy and Yordany Alvarez helped the Los Angeles Galaxy to a 2-0 win over Real Salt Lake in the Desert Diamond Cup.
Paolo Cardozo and Mike Magee scored for the Galaxy after RSL was reduced to just nine players.
Beckham received a loud ovation when he came on for Kenny Walker in the second half, and his long balls from deep midfield opened up the RSL defense several times.
Grabavoy was handed a straight red after a rough tackle on Marcelo Sarvas in the 70th minute. Just seven minutes later Alvarez picked up a second yellow for a tackle on Cardozo.
After a scramble in front of the goal in the 81st minute, Cardozo's soft rebound shot was uncharacteristically mishandled by RSL goalkeeper Nick Rimando, who let the ball go right through his hands.
Beckham's perfect cross in the 87th minute was side-volleyed into the net by Magee to clinch the preseason victory.
Both teams are now 1-1 in the tournament. RSL next face the New England Revolution at 6 p.m. MST on Wednesday
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37