Real Salt Lake defeated in Desert Diamond Cup against Los Angeles Galaxy, 2-0
TUCSON, Ariz. — David Beckham's insertion in the second half and red cards to Ned Grabavoy and Yordany Alvarez helped the Los Angeles Galaxy to a 2-0 win over Real Salt Lake in the Desert Diamond Cup.
Paolo Cardozo and Mike Magee scored for the Galaxy after RSL was reduced to just nine players.
Beckham received a loud ovation when he came on for Kenny Walker in the second half, and his long balls from deep midfield opened up the RSL defense several times.
Grabavoy was handed a straight red after a rough tackle on Marcelo Sarvas in the 70th minute. Just seven minutes later Alvarez picked up a second yellow for a tackle on Cardozo.
After a scramble in front of the goal in the 81st minute, Cardozo's soft rebound shot was uncharacteristically mishandled by RSL goalkeeper Nick Rimando, who let the ball go right through his hands.
Beckham's perfect cross in the 87th minute was side-volleyed into the net by Magee to clinch the preseason victory.
Both teams are now 1-1 in the tournament. RSL next face the New England Revolution at 6 p.m. MST on Wednesday
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26