Real Salt Lake defeated in Desert Diamond Cup against Los Angeles Galaxy, 2-0
TUCSON, Ariz. — David Beckham's insertion in the second half and red cards to Ned Grabavoy and Yordany Alvarez helped the Los Angeles Galaxy to a 2-0 win over Real Salt Lake in the Desert Diamond Cup.
Paolo Cardozo and Mike Magee scored for the Galaxy after RSL was reduced to just nine players.
Beckham received a loud ovation when he came on for Kenny Walker in the second half, and his long balls from deep midfield opened up the RSL defense several times.
Grabavoy was handed a straight red after a rough tackle on Marcelo Sarvas in the 70th minute. Just seven minutes later Alvarez picked up a second yellow for a tackle on Cardozo.
After a scramble in front of the goal in the 81st minute, Cardozo's soft rebound shot was uncharacteristically mishandled by RSL goalkeeper Nick Rimando, who let the ball go right through his hands.
Beckham's perfect cross in the 87th minute was side-volleyed into the net by Magee to clinch the preseason victory.
Both teams are now 1-1 in the tournament. RSL next face the New England Revolution at 6 p.m. MST on Wednesday
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- BYU football: Cougars announce future games...
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 120
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 106
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 66
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 55
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 53
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 51
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 28