Real Salt Lake defeated in Desert Diamond Cup against Los Angeles Galaxy, 2-0
TUCSON, Ariz. — David Beckham's insertion in the second half and red cards to Ned Grabavoy and Yordany Alvarez helped the Los Angeles Galaxy to a 2-0 win over Real Salt Lake in the Desert Diamond Cup.
Paolo Cardozo and Mike Magee scored for the Galaxy after RSL was reduced to just nine players.
Beckham received a loud ovation when he came on for Kenny Walker in the second half, and his long balls from deep midfield opened up the RSL defense several times.
Grabavoy was handed a straight red after a rough tackle on Marcelo Sarvas in the 70th minute. Just seven minutes later Alvarez picked up a second yellow for a tackle on Cardozo.
After a scramble in front of the goal in the 81st minute, Cardozo's soft rebound shot was uncharacteristically mishandled by RSL goalkeeper Nick Rimando, who let the ball go right through his hands.
Beckham's perfect cross in the 87th minute was side-volleyed into the net by Magee to clinch the preseason victory.
Both teams are now 1-1 in the tournament. RSL next face the New England Revolution at 6 p.m. MST on Wednesday
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 49
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 16
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 9
- Morning links: Utah Utes a sleeper in... 8