Real Salt Lake defeated in Desert Diamond Cup against Los Angeles Galaxy, 2-0
TUCSON, Ariz. — David Beckham's insertion in the second half and red cards to Ned Grabavoy and Yordany Alvarez helped the Los Angeles Galaxy to a 2-0 win over Real Salt Lake in the Desert Diamond Cup.
Paolo Cardozo and Mike Magee scored for the Galaxy after RSL was reduced to just nine players.
Beckham received a loud ovation when he came on for Kenny Walker in the second half, and his long balls from deep midfield opened up the RSL defense several times.
Grabavoy was handed a straight red after a rough tackle on Marcelo Sarvas in the 70th minute. Just seven minutes later Alvarez picked up a second yellow for a tackle on Cardozo.
After a scramble in front of the goal in the 81st minute, Cardozo's soft rebound shot was uncharacteristically mishandled by RSL goalkeeper Nick Rimando, who let the ball go right through his hands.
Beckham's perfect cross in the 87th minute was side-volleyed into the net by Magee to clinch the preseason victory.
Both teams are now 1-1 in the tournament. RSL next face the New England Revolution at 6 p.m. MST on Wednesday
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- Utah football: Pac-12 Football Media Day Central
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 93
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 76
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 46
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 41
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 27
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26