Women's basketball roundup: BYU forced to settle for No. 2 in West Coast Conference
"We played hard and we're a little too emotional with it being senior night,"? head coach Shelley Jarrard said. "We made some adjustments at halftime and we executed much better."?
Four Griffins reached double figures in points with Nicole Yazzie and Jenteal Jackson scoring 12 apiece. Jackson had five assists and three treys. Tia Pappas came up with 10 points and seven rebounds off the bench with Shelby Ellsworth contributing 10 points. Cydney Tibbitts filled the stat sheet with eight points, nine rebounds and six assists.
Lindsey Abramson led UGF with 19 points and eight rebounds. Kindra Jones scored 13 with Kezia Ford had 10.
These two teams will now play again on Wednesday in the quarterfinals of the Frontier Conference Tournament. Westminster is the No. 1 seed while Great Falls is the No. 8 seed. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. in the Behnken Field House.
DIXIE STATE 78, CHAMINADE 51: At St. George, Shanae Vaifanua led four Red Storm players in double figures with 20 points and 10 rebounds.
SLCC 72, COLORADO NORTHWESTERN 53: At Taylorsville, the Bruins led by as many as 22 points in the game and used 27 bench points to ease past Colorado. The win evens Salt Lake's conference record at 7-7 and takes their overall record to 16-11 overall.
The Bruins scored 28 second-chance points and scored 20 points off turnovers. Nicole Newbold led Salt Lake with a double-double grabbing a team-high 10 rebounds and scoring 10 points. Sophomore Sophia Hepworth scored a game-high 24 points on 10 of 20 shooting. The quick hands of SLCC defenders collected 11 steals, led by Hayli Shurtz with four steals and nine points.
SNOW COLLEGE 61, USU-CEU 43: At Ephraim, the Badgers secured second place in the SWAC, earning a bye for the Region 18 tournament as eight players contributed offensively, led by Tori McGrath's 14 points and five rebounds. Kelsi Wells, Kaitlyn Diaz and Becca Rees each added nine points. The Eagles outshot Snow College 47 percent to 36 percent in the first half, but the Badgers got their percentage up to 45 percent.
- Utah Jazz: Analyzing 3 trade possibilities as...
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants...
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave Rose's...
- Morning links: Kyle Van Noy, Eric Weddle...
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting Combine
- BYU football quiz: How well do you know the...
- Jazz notes: Respect high between Coach...
- Utes return home and handle Huskies, 90-82,...
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave... 45
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 44
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants... 44
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 43
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 40
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 39
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 33