Women's basketball roundup: BYU forced to settle for No. 2 in West Coast Conference

Deseret News

Published: Saturday, Feb. 25 2012 11:00 p.m. MST

Neither team led by more than eight points on the afternoon, with Weber State led by as many as six in the first half.

The Wildcats held a 51-47 lead after Woodfield's tipin with 9:02 remaining, but went cold as the Bears scored 10 straight points to take a 57-51 lead with 5:13 remaining and held Weber State to just three points the rest of the way.

Weber State (2-26, 0-15 Big Sky) will wrap up its season on Saturday against Montana State. Tipoff is set for 2 p.m. at the Dee Events Center, and the Wildcats' three seniors, Mohre, Woodfield and injured center Karlee Weight, will be honored.

UT-PAN AMERICAN 71, UTAH VALLEY 70 (OT): At Edinburg, Texas, the Wolverines overcame a four-point deficit with just a little over a minute to play to force overtime and nearly overpowered a similar margin in the extra frame.

"I was really pleased with how our kids battled in a situation of controllables and uncontrollables," said UVU head women's basketball coach Cathy Nixon. "If we could have converted some free throws and avoided some turnovers at very inopportune times we could have possibly pulled away in regulation. But every game is its own adventure and certainly I'm proud of the kids' effort and energy and toughness in the back end of a long road trip."

Trailing 63-59 after LaQuita Garner buried a corner three for UTPA (11-16, 4-5 GWC), Sammie Jensen worked her way to the foul line for UVU (13-13, 5-3) and knocked down the freebies to cut the lead in half. Then, after a defensive stop, Abbie Beutler looked inside for Erika Newbold who netted a left-handed hook shot in the lane to tie the score at 63 with 18 seconds left.

Bianca Torre pushed the other way for UTPA, but her runner in the lane was too strong, giving UVU the ball after a Jensen rebound. On the final possession of regulation, the Wolverines pushed the ball into the frontcourt, but Huber's desperation 30-footer as time expired skimmed off the back iron, sending the game into overtime.

UTPA drew first blood in the extra period after Donna Jackson buried a jumper from the elbow at the 3:44 mark. A free throw from Garner pushed the Bronc lead to 66-63 with 2:15 to play, but Alle Finch pulled the Wolverines back level just seconds later with a big three-point play.

Back-to-back scores from UTPA gave the Broncs another four-point lead at 70-66 with 1:17 left in overtime. After consecutive 1-for-2 trips to the foul line for both teams, the score sat at 71-67 with 12 seconds remaining. A wing three from Whitney Jenkins with 6.4 seconds left kept UVU alive and after Franchesca Simon missed both free throws on the next UTPA possession, the Wolverines had a shot at the win.

Jenkins pulled in the rebound off the second miss and delivered an outlet pass to Jensen who raced the other way. Jensen drove into the paint where she collided with UTPA's Jackson near the basket. The baseline official whistled an offensive foul on Jensen, returning the ball to the Broncs and sealing the Wolverines fate.

The Wolverines were led in the contest by a game-high 23 points and 14 rebounds from Jensen — her 14th double-double of the season. Also finishing in double figures were Jenkins with 14, including a pair of treys, and Newbold who added 12. Newbold also nine rebounds and Beutler and Finch had five assists apiece.

NO. 16 WESTMINSTER 64, GREAT FALLS 54: At Salt Lake City, the Griffins (20-7, 13-1) notched a seventh consecutive 20-win season and claimed a fourth straight Frontier Conference championship.

With 10:23 to play UGF held a 41-40 advantage. The Griffins put the game away behind a 17-5 run to take a 60-48 lead with 1:41 left.

After shooting a season-low 19.4 percent in the opening half, Westminster bounced back to shoot 57.7 percent after intermission to finish at 36.8 percent. They recorded 15 assists on 21 made field goals while committing just six turnovers. They made seven of the 22 attempts from beyond the arc and went 15-of-19 at the foul line. The Griffins finished with 32 rebounds and had 11 second chance points from 13 offensive rebounds.

Try out the new DeseretNews.com design!
try beta learn more
Get The Deseret News Everywhere