Kristin Murphy, Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
MAGNA — While the views are scenic and location peaceful, the Pleasant Green Cemetery in Magna may not be the place for a proposed Susan Powell memorial.
The announcement of a planned statue of the missing West Valley mother and her two sons was made at a West Valley City Council meeting on Tuesday. Now, her family and friends are saying they knew nothing about it.
"It was very kind of them to offer, and we are considering that location among many others," said Kiirsi Hellewell, Susan Powell's best friend.
Hellewell — who has been involved in almost every aspect of Susan Powell's story — said that she first heard about the memorial idea last week.
"It was a bit premature," she said.
Hellewell said nothing has been decided. It is a matter that Susan Powell's parents and a committee want to make together, she said.
"That's one thing we would like to emphasize, is that absolutely nothing has been decided at this point," Hellewell said.
Hiram Bertoch, president of the Pleasant Green Cemetery, said he only donated the land because he wanted a peaceful place for people to reflect.
"We've all felt a lot of pain and there hasn't been closure for us, for anybody," he said.
The private cemetery is a unique place with a "pioneer style" ambiance, where rocks, desert vegetation and scrub brush is the norm, he said.
"It's supposed to look like a hillside, and we maintain that," Bertoch said.
If Susan Cox Powell's family does decide against putting her memorial at Pleasant Green, Bertoch said he would understand.
"If they wanted to do a memorial somewhere else, we wouldn't do something up here," he said.
But Hellewell stressed that "everything is up in the air."
"Location, artist and all the details of the memorial are to be decided at a future point," she said.
Meanwhile, West Valley City Mayor Mike Winder said that his announcement came during a work session with the City Council, and that he only made the announcement because Bertoch asked him to. They wanted it to be something positive, he said.
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in Utah...
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other elected...
- Nurse threatened to kill patient after...
- The Grand America and the Flower Patch: Once...
- Do Utah high school students need four years...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 131
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other... 56
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 36
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 29
- Do Utah high school students need four... 24
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in... 16
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists... 14
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive... 12