Cherington will have to be mindful of the luxury tax, Henry said. He also hinted that there should be a change in mentality back to the ownership group's earlier days.
"When we first came in, I think there was a fear that we were going to have a small-market mentality," Henry said. "But I think that was an advantage. It's an advantage to have a big payroll and a small-market mentality. I think we have to be more careful with how we spend our money. There's a lot to consider with baseball economics going forward."
Henry also said that he planned to apologize to Crawford for saying on a Boston radio show that he personally opposed signing the outfielder to a seven-year, $142 million contract.
"I think that I should have never made those comments," Henry said. "It was an off-the-cuff remark I shouldn't have made and so when I see him I'm going to apologize to him for it."
Crawford said later in the afternoon that he still had not spoken with Henry, but he welcomed the outreach.
"I was a little disappointed by (Henry's remark)," Crawford said. "There were so many bad things going on at that time. That definitely didn't make things better for me."
Finally, Henry said the dispute with the Chicago Cubs over compensation for Epstein was a result of miscommunication with Cubs owner Tom Ricketts. The Red Sox wound up getting reliever Chris Carpenter in return.
"We probably had a misunderstanding, at least as far as expectation," Henry said. "There was no real agreement. The best way to explain it is we probably had different expectations based on first conversations as to what was transpiring."
Follow Jon Krawczynski on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/APkrawczynski.
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes outlast weather delay en route to 26-10...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- High school football: Royals rock Grizzlies...
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33