Cherington will have to be mindful of the luxury tax, Henry said. He also hinted that there should be a change in mentality back to the ownership group's earlier days.
"When we first came in, I think there was a fear that we were going to have a small-market mentality," Henry said. "But I think that was an advantage. It's an advantage to have a big payroll and a small-market mentality. I think we have to be more careful with how we spend our money. There's a lot to consider with baseball economics going forward."
Henry also said that he planned to apologize to Crawford for saying on a Boston radio show that he personally opposed signing the outfielder to a seven-year, $142 million contract.
"I think that I should have never made those comments," Henry said. "It was an off-the-cuff remark I shouldn't have made and so when I see him I'm going to apologize to him for it."
Crawford said later in the afternoon that he still had not spoken with Henry, but he welcomed the outreach.
"I was a little disappointed by (Henry's remark)," Crawford said. "There were so many bad things going on at that time. That definitely didn't make things better for me."
Finally, Henry said the dispute with the Chicago Cubs over compensation for Epstein was a result of miscommunication with Cubs owner Tom Ricketts. The Red Sox wound up getting reliever Chris Carpenter in return.
"We probably had a misunderstanding, at least as far as expectation," Henry said. "There was no real agreement. The best way to explain it is we probably had different expectations based on first conversations as to what was transpiring."
Follow Jon Krawczynski on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/APkrawczynski.
- Getting back up off the ground: Utahn...
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- Utes notebook: Kyle Whittingham says Harvey...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Utah State's Keeton getting Heisman hype
- Salt Lake City's Patrick Smyth reclaims...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 112
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 88
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 65
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 48
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 31
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 28
- Off on the right foot: BYU Cougars... 24