COLUMBUS, Ohio — David Jones scored twice and had an assist and Semyon Valamov turned away 28 shots Friday night to lead the Colorado Avalanche to a 5-0 victory over the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Gabriel Landeskog and Steve Downie each had a goal and an assist and Matt Hunwick also scored for the Avalanche, who were up to their usual tricks against the Blue Jackets. They are 32-8-1-1 against Columbus, including 15-5-1-1 on the Blue Jackets' home ice.
The Avalanche won a second game in a row for the first time since Dec. 31. They started the night two points out of the eighth playoff spot in the West.
CAPITALS 4, CANADIENS 1: At Washington, Alex Ovechkin returned from an injury to combine with Jason Chimera on a pair of goals 16 seconds apart, and the Capitals ended a three-game losing streak.
ISLANDERS 4, RANGERS 3 (SO): At Uniondale, N.Y., P.A. Parenteau scored two goals in regulation and linemate Matt Moulson netted the winner in a shootout.
CANUCKS 2, DEVILS 1: At Newark, N.J., Cory Schneider had 30 saves and Aaron Rome and Mason Raymond scored for Vancouver. The win came a night after the Canucks ended the Detroit Red Wings' NHL-record 23-game home winning streak.
SABRES 2, BRUINS 1 (SO): At Buffalo, N.Y., Derek Roy scored the decisive shootout goal in lifting the Sabres. Ryan Miller made 35 saves through regulation and stopped three of four shootout attempts in helping the Sabres improve to 3-0-1 in their past four games.
STARS 4, WILD 1: At Dallas, Tom Wandell scored twice, Kari Lehtonen stopped 28 shots, and the Stars stretched their winning streak to three games. Loui Eriksson and Eric Nystrom added goals for the Stars, who improved to 68 points.
Grizzlies beat Idaho
BOISE – The Utah Grizzlies defeated the Idaho Steelheads 4-3 Friday night at CenturyLink Arena.
Ryan Turek scored the game-winning goal 3:15 into the third period as he ripped home a shot from the point. The Grizzlies were shorthanded for four minutes in a 4:24 stretch in the game's final 7:49 but held on.
The teams meet again at 7 p.m. Saturday in Boise.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- NFL locals photo gallery: Ansah grabs the...
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 51
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 49