Reggie Miller has a chance to nail his legacy, just as he did so many 3-point shots.
The Indiana Pacers great with the smoothest of strokes was announced Friday as a first-time finalist for the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. He is one of 12 finalists for the class of 2012.
"When you're in the backyard and you're trying to play the 3-2-1 game, and you're trying to be the Iceman (George Gervin) and do the finger roll. ... Now to be on the same stage with these guys. It's just a great honor," Miller said.
Miller, a five-time All-Star, was joined as a first-time finalist by five-time NCAA Final Four coach Rick Pitino, former NBA coach Bill Fitch and two-time Olympic gold medalist Katrina McClain.
On the ballot again are Don Nelson, Maurice Cheeks, Bernard King, Dick Motta, Hank Nichols, Ralph Sampson, Jamaal Wilkes and the All-American Red Heads, known as the female version of the Harlem Globetrotters and the first women's professional basketball team.
The 2012 class will be announced April 2 at NCAA Final Four in New Orleans. A finalist needs 18 of 24 votes from the Honors Committee for election.
BOGUT'S ANKLE HEALING: The Milwaukee Bucks say center Andrew Bogut won't need surgery on his injured left ankle.
Bucks general manager John Hammond says doctors reviewed a CT scan performed on Bogut's ankle Tuesday and agreed his ankle is healing properly. He is still expected to miss 8-12 weeks.
Hammond said Friday that Bogut will be allowed to go to the next stage of his rehabilitation program and have another scan in about a month.
Bogut fractured his ankle Jan. 25 against Houston when his foot landed awkwardly on a Rockets player's foot.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 76
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 76
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 35
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion probable... 31
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 27
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 27
- Going the distance: BYU, Big 12 aren't... 21