BLOOMFIELD HILLS, Mich. Mitt Romney was 22 when his father came to him and his siblings in search of political advice in December 1969. George Romney, the former Michigan governor, was mulling the electoral prospects of another Romney: his wife, Lenore.A onetime Hollywood starlet who quit acting to get married, Lenore Romney had few political credentials. But she had been a popular first lady, and her husband was tied up in Washington as President Richard M. Nixons new housing secretary. Top Michigan Republicans were wooing her to run for a United States Senate seat.
Click here for full story and video.
- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Child sex trafficking bust reveals worries...
- Georgia girl struck by plane on Florida beach...
- Photos: UCLA wades through damage caused by...
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the time'
- Democrats have million-dollar day on impeachment
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should offer...
- The Great War: 100 photos marking 100 years...
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 44
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the... 21
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should... 21
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 18
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit... 15
- Gaza sides agree to lull but truce... 13