Our Take: The Arizona Republic has released an endorsement of Mitt Romney because of qualities he possesses required to challenge President Barack Obama in the upcoming election.
Republicans long ago identified the qualities required of a presidential candidate who could pose a legitimate challenge to President Barack Obama.
The list of attributes was short.
Above all else, that candidate must exude an adult-in-the-room savvy regarding stabilizing federal spending and growing the economy and be able to express that competence to the American people.
The method to accomplish that goal, in the view of conservative Republicans, would be to reform tax policy, control federal spending and set the nation's finances on a path away from the fast-approaching chaos of unparalleled federal debt.
Rightly, we think, they concluded that all else pales beyond enacting necessary reforms, including limiting the reach of the federal leviathan, that would help unleash American productivity and create jobs.
Not only is the former governor of Massachusetts, Mitt Romney, best prepared, according to those criteria, of all the remaining GOP presidential hopefuls. He is also among the most skilled job-creating candidates for chief executive we can imagine.
Click here for the full story.
- Convicted killer thought fellow escapee was...
- A world apart: 2 women with birthdates in...
- Oklahoma court: Ten Commandments monument...
- NBC to Donald Trump: You're fired
- Judge rejects motion, clearing way for Steven...
- Religious colleges on edge over tax, Pell...
- Don't blink or you might miss the leap second...
- Top 10 best road trip spots (and photo...
- Supreme Court declares nationwide right... 188
- Religious leaders ponder next steps... 59
- Utahns have mixed reactions to Supreme... 58
- Oklahoma court: Ten Commandments... 35
- White House lit in rainbow colors after... 33
- Woman removes Confederate flag in front... 25
- NBC to Donald Trump: You're fired 24
- Obama delivers unvarnished race lecture... 13