Our Take: The Arizona Republic has released an endorsement of Mitt Romney because of qualities he possesses required to challenge President Barack Obama in the upcoming election.
Republicans long ago identified the qualities required of a presidential candidate who could pose a legitimate challenge to President Barack Obama.
The list of attributes was short.
Above all else, that candidate must exude an adult-in-the-room savvy regarding stabilizing federal spending and growing the economy and be able to express that competence to the American people.
The method to accomplish that goal, in the view of conservative Republicans, would be to reform tax policy, control federal spending and set the nation's finances on a path away from the fast-approaching chaos of unparalleled federal debt.
Rightly, we think, they concluded that all else pales beyond enacting necessary reforms, including limiting the reach of the federal leviathan, that would help unleash American productivity and create jobs.
Not only is the former governor of Massachusetts, Mitt Romney, best prepared, according to those criteria, of all the remaining GOP presidential hopefuls. He is also among the most skilled job-creating candidates for chief executive we can imagine.
Click here for the full story.
- Former GOP nominee Romney will not run for...
- Tad Walch: The LDS Church's call for balance...
- List: 10 Super Bowl ads you'll be talking about
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay marriage...
- After 150 years, Confederate submarine's hull...
- The Force is strong with this one: Panel with...
- First lady defends 'American Sniper' at...
- Worker who saw victim's body testifies at...
- Former GOP nominee Romney will not run... 74
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay... 54
- Mitt Romney courts middle class, jabs... 40
- Victim of sexual abuse sues Boy Scouts... 21
- Tad Walch: The LDS Church's call for... 19
- Attorney General nominee picks up... 14
- Denver police shoot, kill teen who... 13
- House GOP moves toward possible lawsuit... 11