BYU notebook: Noah Hartsock plays just 7 minutes in loss to Gonzaga
Jed Conklin, AP
SPOKANE, Wash. — Even with a healthy Noah Hartsock, it figured that BYU would have a tough time at Gonzaga.
But without him, the Cougars didn't have much of a chance.
Hartsock suffered a knee injury against Santa Clara last Saturday, and BYU was forced to play most of Thursday night's 74-63 loss without him.
"Noah's a great player," said Brandon Davies, who scored 23 points and had 10 rebounds. "It definitely hurt us to see him out (of the game). We needed to step up. We're better with him in there."
Hartsock, wearing a big brace on his ailing left knee, started the game, but labored up and down the court. The senior forward played just seven minutes and did not attempt a shot. He had one rebound, one foul and one turnover.
He did not play in the second half, as coach Dave Rose started freshman Josh Sharp in Hartsock's place.
The Cougars missed a bevy of shots while trying to compensate for Hartsock's absence.
Rose said the Cougars figured out how to play without Hartsock late in the game.
"We finally found ourselves in the second half," he said. "(Davies) was able to make some big baskets."
Rose said it became clear during the game that Hartsock "didn't have any power in that leg."
THE SERIES: With the win Thursday, Gonzaga tied up the all-time series with BYU. Each team has now won two games.
The Bulldogs avenged two straight losses to the Cougars, including a matchup in last year's NCAA Tournament.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 73
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 61
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34