RSL's Nick Rimando among 4 MLS players selected for the U.S. national team roster
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey are on the U.S. national team roster for next week's exhibition game at Italy and could play together for the first time since Jurgen Klinsmann was hired as coach last summer.
The attacking pair, along with Real Salt Lake goalkeeper Nick Rimando, were among 21 players selected for Wednesday's match in Genoa.
Borussia Dortmund forward Terrence Boyd was the only newcomer on the roster announced Thursday. He had been selected last week for the American under-23 roster for an exhibition against Mexico, also on Feb. 29.
Despite playing only the first 45 minutes in his most recent appearance for the team on Jan. 25 at Panama, Rimando earned Man of the Match honors after making several standout saves that allowed the U.S. to register a 1-0 win in Panama City. The 32-year-old Rimando, who participated in the squad's annual January camp alongside RSL teammate Kyle Beckerman, has made six appearances for the USA.
Rimando is one of only four MLS-based players that will make the trip to Europe on Sunday, a contingent that also includes LA Galaxy forwards Landon Donovan and Edson Buddle and Houston Dynamo defender Geoff Cameron.
Rimando is expected to be away from his RSL teammates for just one game during the squad's ongoing participation in the FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup preseason tournament, as he will depart following Saturday's match against the Galaxy and miss only next Wednesday's contest against the New England Revolution. Both of those contests in Tucson will kick off at 6 p.m. MT and can be seen live on MLSsoccer.com.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 121
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 32
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 20