RSL's Nick Rimando among 4 MLS players selected for the U.S. national team roster
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey are on the U.S. national team roster for next week's exhibition game at Italy and could play together for the first time since Jurgen Klinsmann was hired as coach last summer.
The attacking pair, along with Real Salt Lake goalkeeper Nick Rimando, were among 21 players selected for Wednesday's match in Genoa.
Borussia Dortmund forward Terrence Boyd was the only newcomer on the roster announced Thursday. He had been selected last week for the American under-23 roster for an exhibition against Mexico, also on Feb. 29.
Despite playing only the first 45 minutes in his most recent appearance for the team on Jan. 25 at Panama, Rimando earned Man of the Match honors after making several standout saves that allowed the U.S. to register a 1-0 win in Panama City. The 32-year-old Rimando, who participated in the squad's annual January camp alongside RSL teammate Kyle Beckerman, has made six appearances for the USA.
Rimando is one of only four MLS-based players that will make the trip to Europe on Sunday, a contingent that also includes LA Galaxy forwards Landon Donovan and Edson Buddle and Houston Dynamo defender Geoff Cameron.
Rimando is expected to be away from his RSL teammates for just one game during the squad's ongoing participation in the FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup preseason tournament, as he will depart following Saturday's match against the Galaxy and miss only next Wednesday's contest against the New England Revolution. Both of those contests in Tucson will kick off at 6 p.m. MT and can be seen live on MLSsoccer.com.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 76
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 76
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 35
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 27
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 27
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion probable... 22
- Morning links: Taysom Hill a Top 25... 18