Vanderbilt began reviewing the policies of student groups in 2010, after a gay student complained that he was dismissed from a Christian fraternity. At a campus meeting last month, a Vanderbilt official noted the Supreme Court had upheld the constitutionality of all comers policies, like the one Vanderbilt was trying to enforce.
Provost Richard McCarty said the school's policy evenly affects all groups, and he's convinced it will benefit those groups by opening up leadership to new voices.
He compared groups that discriminate against gays to integration opponents because both have used the Bible to justify discrimination.
"I think that those are two of the great challenges that our society has been facing and I believe that our nondiscrimination policy places us on the correct side of both issues," he said.
Christians find comparisons to segregationists odious. They say the belief that homosexuality is sinful is widely held, and Christian groups have a right to require their leaders to behave in ways consistent with Biblical texts.
InterVarsity didn't wish to comment in detail on discussions with colleges since the Supreme Court ruling.
But it said in a statement that after 70 years upholding "historic biblical standards" on campus, it was thankful many schools who recently took another look at its policies allowed it to remain on campus.
"We love the university and want to be a positive presence there," the group said.
- Space and religion: How believers view latest...
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man with men...
- New Harmony: Christian shrines to see on my...
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church could be...
- Redskins find new opponent, supporter of name...
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's birth...
- Disgraced priest to wed pope adviser's daughter
- 'The Voice' fans angry about replacement of...
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 38
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 21
- Space and religion: How believers view... 11
- 'The Voice' fans angry about... 8
- Redskins find new opponent, supporter... 7
- Disgraced priest to wed pope adviser's... 4
- Pope forms commission to advise on sex... 1
- New Harmony: Christian shrines to see... 1