"We have some different options that we can explore and that we've talked about. We're not ready to make that decision. We don't have to make it yet," Garrett said. "But again you have to evaluate the landscape of how you can acquire talent. You look at who's available in the draft, who's available in free agency and who's available on your team and then you try to make your best decision. We're just not there yet with the Spencer decision."
SUH ON TRACK?: Lions coach Jim Schwartz was asked Thursday whether he's spoken with defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh about his temperament since Detroit's playoff loss to New Orleans. His answer: Not really.
But Schwartz is hoping the defensive star has learned from past mistakes, which included a two-game suspension after stomping on the arm of a Packers offensive lineman in a nationally-televised Thanksgiving Day game.
"I think, particularly, over the last couple of games, we've put some of those other things to rest," Schwartz said. "I think when you're a player that other teams target, and by target I mean target from a scheme standpoint, it's tough."
Did the flare-ups hurt Suh's reputation?
"I think the Thanksgiving game overshadowed that, but he was a really good player this year," Schwartz said.
TUNING OUT: Nielsen Co. says a record 111.3 million people watched the Super Bowl this year. San Francisco 49ers general manager Trent Baalke wasn't among them.
After the 49ers lost 20-17 to the eventual Super Bowl champion New York Giants in the NFC championship game, Baalke went straight into planning mode.
"We had the scouts in and we were working," he said as he discussed his Super Bowl week schedule.
As a matter of fact, Baalke hasn't even watched his team's tape against New York.
"The last game, I just haven't had time to pop on yet," he said.
Associated Press sports writer Cliff Brunt also contributed to this report.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond): Lillard...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 84
- Going the distance: BYU, Big 12 aren't... 68
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion probable... 57
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 35
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 28
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 27
- Utah baseball team surprisingly leads... 21