"We have some different options that we can explore and that we've talked about. We're not ready to make that decision. We don't have to make it yet," Garrett said. "But again you have to evaluate the landscape of how you can acquire talent. You look at who's available in the draft, who's available in free agency and who's available on your team and then you try to make your best decision. We're just not there yet with the Spencer decision."
SUH ON TRACK?: Lions coach Jim Schwartz was asked Thursday whether he's spoken with defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh about his temperament since Detroit's playoff loss to New Orleans. His answer: Not really.
But Schwartz is hoping the defensive star has learned from past mistakes, which included a two-game suspension after stomping on the arm of a Packers offensive lineman in a nationally-televised Thanksgiving Day game.
"I think, particularly, over the last couple of games, we've put some of those other things to rest," Schwartz said. "I think when you're a player that other teams target, and by target I mean target from a scheme standpoint, it's tough."
Did the flare-ups hurt Suh's reputation?
"I think the Thanksgiving game overshadowed that, but he was a really good player this year," Schwartz said.
TUNING OUT: Nielsen Co. says a record 111.3 million people watched the Super Bowl this year. San Francisco 49ers general manager Trent Baalke wasn't among them.
After the 49ers lost 20-17 to the eventual Super Bowl champion New York Giants in the NFC championship game, Baalke went straight into planning mode.
"We had the scouts in and we were working," he said as he discussed his Super Bowl week schedule.
As a matter of fact, Baalke hasn't even watched his team's tape against New York.
"The last game, I just haven't had time to pop on yet," he said.
Associated Press sports writer Cliff Brunt also contributed to this report.
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they balance...
- Football legend Brett Favre drops in on Alta...
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should hear...
- Final preseason breakdown of BYU, Utah and...
- BYU offensive line coming together in time...
- Amy Donaldson: Critics of the ALS Ice Bucket...
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of BYU,...
- BYU football: Cougars agree to home-and-home...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 146
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 106
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 95
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 75
- BYU football: Cougars agree to... 66
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 46
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of... 34
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should... 28