PROVO — It's rare that BYU's football program plays a team from the Big Ten Conference in the regular season.
Athletic director Tom Holmoe announced Thursday that the Cougars have scheduled a matchup with Big Ten member Nebraska on Sept. 5, 2015.
The game will be played at venerable 81,067-seat Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, Neb., and it will mark the first-ever matchup between the two schools.
"This is a great opportunity to play an outstanding football team in one of the storied football stadiums in the country," said Holmoe, who added that there could be future games between BYU and the Cornhuskers.
"Nebraska was looking for a game in 2015 and the timing was good for BYU," Holmoe said. "I look forward to developing a long-term relationship with Nebraska."
When Holmoe officially unveiled the 2012 schedule last week, he promised Cougar fans that future games with high-profile opponents were on the verge of being announced.
Holmoe and Nebraska coach Bo Pelini have known each other for years. They coached the defensive backs with the San Francisco 49ers in the 1990s.
BYU now has five contests scheduled for 2015 — at Nebraska, Boise State, Utah State, at Southern Miss and at Hawaii.
In its football history, BYU has played a Big Ten opponent during the regular season just three times — in 1980 (at Wisconsin), 1991 (at Penn State) and in 1992 (Penn State in a contest played in Provo).
Last season, Nebraska posted a 9-4 record in its first year as part of the Big Ten, and finished with a No. 24 ranking in both polls.
BYU, which is coming off its first season as an independent, had a 10-3 record in 2011, and was ranked No. 25 in the coaches poll.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- High school football: Hunter Wolverines 2015...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 113
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 22
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 21