BOISE — The Utah Grizzlies defeated the Idaho Steelheads 4-3 in a shootout Wednesday night at CenturyLink Arena in a key Mountain Division game.
The Grizzlies made it 1-0 on a shorthanded goal by Logan MacMillan (7) 10 seconds into Utah's first shorthanded situation of the game 5:08 into the contest. MacMillan worked the puck up the right wing side and beat Idaho goaltender Jerry Kuhn.
Utah made it 2-0 as Nick Tuzzolino and Cody Lampl worked the puck up ice to Justin Dowling as Mitch Wahl was initially denied on a spectacular save by Kuhn before finding the rebound for his 14th goal of the year.
The Steelheads made it 2-1 on an early goal in the second period and that score held until the third.
Colin Vock knocked in a rebound on a Nick Tuzzolino shot at 5:28 of the third period to make it 3-1, but Idaho came back with a five-on-three goal to make it 3-2 with 7:19 left.
The Steelheads tied the contest as the puck rolled off of some Utah sticks on a clearing attempt and was sent in on a second effort into a Utah net with 2:34 left.
Utah outshot Idaho 6-3 in overtime and had nearly a 2 minute power-play to start overtime with several good chances.
John Armstrong scored for Utah in the sixth round of the shootout to make it 2-1 and Andrew Engelage stopped Michael Neal on the ensuing shot to give Utah the victory. Mitch Wahl scored Utah's other shootout goal in round two.
The Grizzlies and Idaho meet again at 7:10 p.m. in Boise Friday and Saturday.
Utah returns home March 5 to open a four-game stretch in six nights.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26