BOISE — The Utah Grizzlies defeated the Idaho Steelheads 4-3 in a shootout Wednesday night at CenturyLink Arena in a key Mountain Division game.
The Grizzlies made it 1-0 on a shorthanded goal by Logan MacMillan (7) 10 seconds into Utah's first shorthanded situation of the game 5:08 into the contest. MacMillan worked the puck up the right wing side and beat Idaho goaltender Jerry Kuhn.
Utah made it 2-0 as Nick Tuzzolino and Cody Lampl worked the puck up ice to Justin Dowling as Mitch Wahl was initially denied on a spectacular save by Kuhn before finding the rebound for his 14th goal of the year.
The Steelheads made it 2-1 on an early goal in the second period and that score held until the third.
Colin Vock knocked in a rebound on a Nick Tuzzolino shot at 5:28 of the third period to make it 3-1, but Idaho came back with a five-on-three goal to make it 3-2 with 7:19 left.
The Steelheads tied the contest as the puck rolled off of some Utah sticks on a clearing attempt and was sent in on a second effort into a Utah net with 2:34 left.
Utah outshot Idaho 6-3 in overtime and had nearly a 2 minute power-play to start overtime with several good chances.
John Armstrong scored for Utah in the sixth round of the shootout to make it 2-1 and Andrew Engelage stopped Michael Neal on the ensuing shot to give Utah the victory. Mitch Wahl scored Utah's other shootout goal in round two.
The Grizzlies and Idaho meet again at 7:10 p.m. in Boise Friday and Saturday.
Utah returns home March 5 to open a four-game stretch in six nights.
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- Utah football: Pac-12 Football Media Day Central
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 93
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 76
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 46
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 41
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 27
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26