BOISE — The Utah Grizzlies defeated the Idaho Steelheads 4-3 in a shootout Wednesday night at CenturyLink Arena in a key Mountain Division game.
The Grizzlies made it 1-0 on a shorthanded goal by Logan MacMillan (7) 10 seconds into Utah's first shorthanded situation of the game 5:08 into the contest. MacMillan worked the puck up the right wing side and beat Idaho goaltender Jerry Kuhn.
Utah made it 2-0 as Nick Tuzzolino and Cody Lampl worked the puck up ice to Justin Dowling as Mitch Wahl was initially denied on a spectacular save by Kuhn before finding the rebound for his 14th goal of the year.
The Steelheads made it 2-1 on an early goal in the second period and that score held until the third.
Colin Vock knocked in a rebound on a Nick Tuzzolino shot at 5:28 of the third period to make it 3-1, but Idaho came back with a five-on-three goal to make it 3-2 with 7:19 left.
The Steelheads tied the contest as the puck rolled off of some Utah sticks on a clearing attempt and was sent in on a second effort into a Utah net with 2:34 left.
Utah outshot Idaho 6-3 in overtime and had nearly a 2 minute power-play to start overtime with several good chances.
John Armstrong scored for Utah in the sixth round of the shootout to make it 2-1 and Andrew Engelage stopped Michael Neal on the ensuing shot to give Utah the victory. Mitch Wahl scored Utah's other shootout goal in round two.
The Grizzlies and Idaho meet again at 7:10 p.m. in Boise Friday and Saturday.
Utah returns home March 5 to open a four-game stretch in six nights.
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for BYU; 10...
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting, Miami...
- After year layoff, BYU's Kurtz happy to be...
- Jazz grind out impressive 93-82 win in Memphis
- A tale of two Hills at quarterback for BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Credit BYU's Rose for...
- It was historic weekend for BYU basketball...
- Video: Former Utah Jazz draft pick Luther...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 110
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 83
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for... 70
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 50
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 44
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 41
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 40
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting,... 31