TUCSON, Ariz. — Paulo Jr. notched the late match-winner as Real Salt Lake posted a 1-0 win over the New York Red Bulls on Wednesday in the nightcap of the Desert Diamond Cup in Tucson, Ariz.
The Brazilian striker was part of a mass substitution by head coach Jason Kreis midway through the second half. He combined with fellow regulars Chris Wingert and Fabian Espindola on the decisive play. Wingert's through ball found Espindola, whose cross was headed home past goalkeeper Jeremy Vuolo in net.
Both teams used largely experimental lineups featuring youngsters, reserves and trialists.
Corey Hertzog and Victor Palsson stood out for the Red Bulls, while the RSL midfield quartet of Yordany Alvarez, Enzo Martinez, Sebastian Velasquez and Nico Muniz had moments of exquisite build-up play throughout their 65 minutes on the field.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26