TUCSON, Ariz. — Paulo Jr. notched the late match-winner as Real Salt Lake posted a 1-0 win over the New York Red Bulls on Wednesday in the nightcap of the Desert Diamond Cup in Tucson, Ariz.
The Brazilian striker was part of a mass substitution by head coach Jason Kreis midway through the second half. He combined with fellow regulars Chris Wingert and Fabian Espindola on the decisive play. Wingert's through ball found Espindola, whose cross was headed home past goalkeeper Jeremy Vuolo in net.
Both teams used largely experimental lineups featuring youngsters, reserves and trialists.
Corey Hertzog and Victor Palsson stood out for the Red Bulls, while the RSL midfield quartet of Yordany Alvarez, Enzo Martinez, Sebastian Velasquez and Nico Muniz had moments of exquisite build-up play throughout their 65 minutes on the field.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Brad Rock: Utah Jazz still don't have the...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 290
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 53
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 42
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37