Vanderbilt began reviewing the policies of student groups in 2010, after a gay student complained that he was dismissed from a Christian fraternity. At a campus meeting last month, a Vanderbilt official noted the Supreme Court had upheld the constitutionality of all comers policies, like the one Vanderbilt was trying to enforce.
Provost Richard McCarty said the school's policy evenly affects all groups, and he's convinced it will benefit those groups by opening up leadership to new voices.
He compared groups that discriminate against gays to integration opponents because both have used the Bible to justify discrimination.
"I think that those are two of the great challenges that our society has been facing and I believe that our nondiscrimination policy places us on the correct side of both issues," he said.
Christians find comparisons to segregationists odious. They say the belief that homosexuality is sinful is widely held, and Christian groups have a right to require their leaders to behave in ways consistent with Biblical texts.
InterVarsity didn't wish to comment in detail on discussions with colleges since the Supreme Court ruling.
But it said in a statement that after 70 years upholding "historic biblical standards" on campus, it was thankful many schools who recently took another look at its policies allowed it to remain on campus.
"We love the university and want to be a positive presence there," the group said.
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- Switched at birth, man raised in poverty...
- Former South African President Nelson Mandela...
- 1 child dead in Idaho elementary school bus...
- Court: Mormon church, members not liable in...
- Saving Africa? New book casts harsh light on...
- Disgraced priest to wed pope adviser's daughter
- Obama: Income inequality a defining challenge
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 98
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 50
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 34
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 30
- Colorado court hears discrimination... 28
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for... 24
- Research: Native American genes have... 23