Andre has learned to step slowly and carefully, following nearby voices to guide him through a world he can no longer see. But despite what happened to him a few days into the new year, the dog still leans into the human touch and seems happiest when held.
"When I talk or sing a little, he stays right with me on my heels," said Powers, Andre's No. 1 caretaker. "He just had his first bath, and now he's snuggled up with a blanket, falling asleep on my lap."
Andre's struggles are not quite over. His eye infection flared last week, and he is back on antibiotics. Powers also must continue treatment for Andre's diabetes and make sure the dog puts on some needed pounds while getting exercise.
Powers hopes to have Andre well enough for a picnic arranged for the many fans who contributed to his cause or could not see him at the fundraiser. She also wants Andre's fans and the 1,000-plus visitors he's had on his Facebook page to know that the miniature pinscher is in a safe place.
Andre is still tiny, weighing about 9 pounds. An underdog, to be sure. But one person gave him a chance, and then another, and then another. Word got around, and soon hundreds of people were donating thousands of dollars. And instead of being a dog that cost $5,000 to save, he became a dog that raised $12,000 extra for injured and abused animals down the line.
"It's amazing how a tiny little spirit can touch so many hearts," Powers said. "I want to reassure everyone he is well-cared for and loved. Everything he needs, he will get. He will have the best possible life from now on."
Information from: The Arizona Republic, http://www.azcentral.com
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay adults not...
- David Letterman leaves late night with thanks...
- Photo gallery: Atop One World Trade Center,...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on dietary...
- Banks fined more than $5B, to plead guilty to...
- The most popular boy names from 1960 to 2013
- 10 Things to See: A week of top AP photos
- Congressional delegation not impressing...
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay... 83
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 30
- Obama: Climate change deniers endanger... 24
- Sen. Lindsey Graham: 'I'm running' to... 17
- Obama bans some military-style... 16
- Official says Iraq's 'Ramadi has... 14
- Belfast baker guilty of discrimination... 13
- FTC: Family raised $187 million for... 12