Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
TAYLORSVILLE — Senior post Courtnee Wood had no idea she was having a career night.
But her teammates, who were throwing her the ball just to see how many she could score, sure did.
"We just kept feeding her the ball," said point guard Amber Daly after the second-ranked Lancers earned a 66-42 win over West Jordan. "It was a very good surprise."
Wood said she couldn't have put up 28 points were it not for the other women in blue and white.
"I owe it to our team," said Wood, who bested the top score of her career by about 10 points.
The Lancers didn't intend to rely on Wood that much, but head coach Van Price said that's what the game gave them.
"We started out good, and I think they felt like they were in control," said Price. "It was a real good game to get us started. … I think in that zone on the weaker side, she was just open for us."
In addition to Wood, the Lancers had a big game from Maddi Smith, who finished with 14 points. The Jaguars had some nice runs, but never could quite keep up with the Lancers, who love to run the ball.
"We pushed the tempo a little bit," said Price. "West Jordan seemed to have more energy in the first half."
The Lancers said they were a little nervous for Tuesday's first-round contest.
"No one has been in a state game," said Daly. So what gave them the confidence with which they handled the Jaguars?
"Practices," said Daly. "We had a really good two practices. Shots were going in; we were running good plays. We had fun, but we were focused. Our coach didn't even have to get on us."
The players don't care who they face in the next round, as long as they're playing in it. They say playing against undefeated and top-ranked Syracuse has at least prepared them for the tough competition they will surely face in Thursday's quarterfinal.
"We know what high competition is," said Wood.
And as for whether or not their tough region gives them an edge, the players weren't quite willing to go that far.
"I guess it depends on the day," said Wood.
Adds Daly, "It doesn't matter — if she scores 28 points again."
- Dick Harmon: Bronco Mendenhall and Cecil O....
- High school football: Reigning Mr. Football...
- Ready to roll: US national soccer team ready...
- Utah Jazz: Massive, state-of-the-art...
- BYU football: Cougars must secure their own...
- Rock On: Getting up to speed at BYU, Jazz's...
- A closer look at the Utah Jazz's 2013...
- Twitter reaction: U.S. men's soccer team...
- BYU football: Cougars must secure their... 148
- High school football: Reigning Mr.... 32
- Phil Steele ranks USU 2nd-most... 28
- Dick Harmon: Bronco Mendenhall and... 28
- Trevor Reilly, Jake Murphy to represent... 22
- Teen's family apologizes to family of... 21
- Austin Collie's workout with San... 18
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Unprecedented... 18