Mark Humphrey, File, Associated Press
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Leaders of the nation's largest Protestant denomination have endorsed an optional alternative name for the Southern Baptist Convention: Great Commission Baptists.
The measure still must go up for a vote at the annual convention this summer.
SBC President Bryant Wright formed a task force last fall to study the idea, saying he was concerned the name Southern Baptist was hindering the group's ability to reach new people for Christ.
One of the idea's most ardent opponents at that time supported the proposal at a Tuesday meeting of the SBC's executive committee.
Darrel Orman, pastor of the First Baptist Church of Stuart, Fla., said he was relieved by the compromise that addresses the concerns of those who think "Southern Baptist" is a liability while still keeping the name.
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Africa and...
- Students clean up after mayhem near pumpkin fest
- Friends, family of Dallas Ebola patient reach...
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign of split
- The poorest of the poor in many Third World...
- Some 60 head of cattle shot in Nevada spree;...
- CDC to revise Ebola protocol, Pentagon preps...
- 3 Ohioans now quarantined after Ebola nurse...
- Can public officials refuse to perform... 68
- Official: 2nd worker isolated within 90... 21
- New Ebola 'czar' knows Washington, but... 21
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 16
- Are teachers getting behind Common... 15
- Gay marriage becomes legal in Arizona,... 14
- Utah health officials prepare for... 13
- Vatican alters draft report translation... 12