Mark Humphrey, File, Associated Press
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Leaders of the nation's largest Protestant denomination have endorsed an optional alternative name for the Southern Baptist Convention: Great Commission Baptists.
The measure still must go up for a vote at the annual convention this summer.
SBC President Bryant Wright formed a task force last fall to study the idea, saying he was concerned the name Southern Baptist was hindering the group's ability to reach new people for Christ.
One of the idea's most ardent opponents at that time supported the proposal at a Tuesday meeting of the SBC's executive committee.
Darrel Orman, pastor of the First Baptist Church of Stuart, Fla., said he was relieved by the compromise that addresses the concerns of those who think "Southern Baptist" is a liability while still keeping the name.
- Elder L. Tom Perry's cancer terminal, 'has...
- The top 10 highest-paid female CEOs
- Feds release sage grouse conservation plans...
- South Africa shaken by FIFA corruption probe
- Neverland, former home of Michael Jackson, on...
- Study says girls seek sisterhood in the...
- Photo gallery: Aerial views of floodwaters in...
- Latest on flooding: Body of missing Texas...
- Elder L. Tom Perry's cancer terminal,... 35
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after... 14
- 'Such a stress reliever': In Rhode... 13
- US to 'fine tune' Iraq strategy in... 12
- Family stress and poverty affect... 12
- Administration asks skeptical judge to... 9
- Census: Number of Americans on public... 9
- Obama urges Senate to renew... 7