Mark Humphrey, File, Associated Press
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Leaders of the nation's largest Protestant denomination have endorsed an optional alternative name for the Southern Baptist Convention: Great Commission Baptists.
The measure still must go up for a vote at the annual convention this summer.
SBC President Bryant Wright formed a task force last fall to study the idea, saying he was concerned the name Southern Baptist was hindering the group's ability to reach new people for Christ.
One of the idea's most ardent opponents at that time supported the proposal at a Tuesday meeting of the SBC's executive committee.
Darrel Orman, pastor of the First Baptist Church of Stuart, Fla., said he was relieved by the compromise that addresses the concerns of those who think "Southern Baptist" is a liability while still keeping the name.
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Striking or spanking a child is not a...
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt list,...
- US tobacco growers brace for tougher competition
- Child poverty just dropped for the first time...
- School police stock up on free military gear
- Top 15 states for education
- Catholic leaders' deliberations over divorce...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 69
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 12
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 12
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a... 12
- School police stock up on free military... 10
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 8
- US won't rule out working with Iran... 6