TAYLORSVILLE — The dynamic duo was at it again as the Syracuse Titans earned a dominant victory, 84-35 over Copper Hills.
Makenlee Williams made it rain from long-range, sinking five 3-pointers in the first half and finishing with an impressive 27 points. Oklahoma State bound Brittney Martin finished with 14 points and assisted Williams in transition time and time again.
Both Martin and Williams appeared to score at will, and Jayda Bovero proved deadly from the field as well with 15 points.
Syracuse fell in the Championship game last year to Alta — a finish that both head coach Rob Reisbeck and Williams look to as a motivator.
"It made Brittney and "Mac" go back over the summer and really improve their game," Reisbeck said. "It made our younger kids step up and want to play the same level. It has been our driving force."
Williams agreed. "That sate title, that's what we want. We lost last year I do not want that feeling again."
Several Titans contributed in the first-round victory on Tuesday. Reisback commended the play of those around Williams and Martin, attributing the win to a full team effort. "They have been doing that all year. Any time we ask them, they step up," he said of the supporting cast.
Copper Hills kept it close for a few minutes in the first quarter but couldn't stave off the inevitable. The Titans ran away with it in the final minutes of the first quarter and never looked back.
Williams hit three of her 3-pointers in the first quarter and two more early in the second to kick off the run. The Titans full-court press made it near impossible for the Grizzlies to get down the court and the majority of Syracuse' points were earned as a result of steals.
Savannah Sandberg fought hard in the loss, leading the Grizzlies with 13 points.
The Titans will take on Lone Peak in the second round.
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 47
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 44
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24