KORBIN LEVIN, Pleasant Grove, wrestling: The Viking senior capped an outstanding career with another individual title by beating Kearns' Antonio Meikel in the 120-pound 5A championship match last week with a technical foul.
Levin was named the lower weights' outstanding wrestler and helped Pleasant Grove win the team title for the second consecutive year. The Region 4 champion, Levin finished the season with a 52-3 record, and he also finished his high school career as a three-time state champion.
"I always dreamed when I was watching my cousins when I was little. I wanted to be like them one day," said Levin.
He beat Fremont's Ronnie Wardleigh for the 119-pound title as a junior, and also beat Wardleigh for the 112-pound title as a sophomore. Levin finished fourth at 103 pounds as a freshman.
KARLEE KARTCHNER, Mtn. Crest, girls basketball: Karlee Kartchner doesn't have to tell her team how much she wants to win. She just shows them.
"She leads more by example," said Mustangs head coach Candace Thornton. "All summer long, she was the first one in the gym and the last one to leave. She takes every game very seriously and she comes ready to play and she wants to win."
Her commitment shows in her stats as she is one of the state's top scorers averaging 23 points and 11.2 rebounds per game. It is her versatility that makes her so tough to stop.
"I am completely comfortable with her down low or running the length of the court," said Thornton. "We're really fortunate to have a post player who can run like she does."
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37