KORBIN LEVIN, Pleasant Grove, wrestling: The Viking senior capped an outstanding career with another individual title by beating Kearns' Antonio Meikel in the 120-pound 5A championship match last week with a technical foul.
Levin was named the lower weights' outstanding wrestler and helped Pleasant Grove win the team title for the second consecutive year. The Region 4 champion, Levin finished the season with a 52-3 record, and he also finished his high school career as a three-time state champion.
"I always dreamed when I was watching my cousins when I was little. I wanted to be like them one day," said Levin.
He beat Fremont's Ronnie Wardleigh for the 119-pound title as a junior, and also beat Wardleigh for the 112-pound title as a sophomore. Levin finished fourth at 103 pounds as a freshman.
KARLEE KARTCHNER, Mtn. Crest, girls basketball: Karlee Kartchner doesn't have to tell her team how much she wants to win. She just shows them.
"She leads more by example," said Mustangs head coach Candace Thornton. "All summer long, she was the first one in the gym and the last one to leave. She takes every game very seriously and she comes ready to play and she wants to win."
Her commitment shows in her stats as she is one of the state's top scorers averaging 23 points and 11.2 rebounds per game. It is her versatility that makes her so tough to stop.
"I am completely comfortable with her down low or running the length of the court," said Thornton. "We're really fortunate to have a post player who can run like she does."
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Christian Stewart writes final chapter on...
- Dick Harmon: Sonny Detmer's bloodline about...
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why OU...
- Jazz not expected to be a major player (or...
- Reports: Jackson Vroman found dead
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake Heaps'...
- Tyler Haws to play with Cleveland Cavaliers...
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 49
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 42
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU's retired AD Glen... 27
- Upstill: Does Trey Lyles have what it... 16
- Jazz not expected to be a major player... 13
- Dick Harmon: Sonny Detmer's bloodline... 12
- Utah State wide receiver/kick returner... 10