Lenny Ignelzi, Associated Press
As a conservative Republican, I never thought I'd see the day when I sided with a Democrat vs. a Republican. However, I have to fully agree with Rep. David Litvack regarding the legality and necessity of DUI checkpoints. Despite the testimony of various law enforcement experts, chiefs and the president of MADD, Reps. David Butterfield, Craig Frank and others believe that they know better how to enforce drunken driving laws.
Additionally, contrary to Butterfield's testimony, the Supreme Court has ruled DUI checkpoints constitutional. I'm real sorry that Frank felt "disturbed" while going through a checkpoint. However, how "disturbed" are those who have lost loved ones or those who have been injured, paralyzed and/or maimed by a drunk driver?
The only people who should be "disturbed" when stopped at a DUI checkpoint are those who have been drinking. I guarantee that any Republican that votes for this bill, HB140, will not get my vote for re-election. Let's make our highways safer.
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument in...
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood scandal...
- Letter: Eroding the BSA
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to help...
- In our opinion: Time to phase out federal...
- Letter: Envision Utah scam
- Five principles to help guide public dialogue...
- In our opinion: Sen. Mike Lee's proposed...
- Five principles to help guide public... 111
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on... 69
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 45
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 44
- Letter: Human body 41
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 40
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 33
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 23