TAMPA, Fla. _ The Yankees have their designated hitter against righties.
With the deal involving A.J. Burnett becoming official Sunday night, Monday morning, the Yankees signed Raul Ibanez to a one-year deal worth $1.1 million in a move that had been long expected.
The 39-year-old Ibanez, who must first pass a physical before the deal is announced, had a down season with the Phillies in 2011, though he still hit 20 homers and drove in 84 runs in 144 games.
He is expected to be in Tampa by Wednesday.
"He's a guy that's hit righthanders very well over his career, can still play the outfield," manager Joe Girardi said, speaking generally of Ibanez because the deal isn't official. "Has been a productive player if you look over the last 10 years ... so he's a guy that we definitely have a lot of interest in."
Ibanez, a career .280 hitter with a .342 OBP, slipped to .245, .289 last season. Last season against righthanders, he hit .256 with a .307 OBP, hitting 16 of his homers and producing 60 of his RBIs in 402 of his 535 at-bats.
When asked Sunday what he was looking for in a DH, general manager Brian Cashman said, "Optimally, I would like to find a lefthanded bat with a defensive component."
Though Cashman didn't mention Ibanez specifically, for weeks it's been no secret he was the organization's top choice to fill the role. But Cashman had to wait for the Burnett trade to go through before signing the outfielder/DH.
Girardi said he still would like a little more depth, which very well could come in the form of the team re-signing Eric Chavez as a reserve infielder, something Cashman said he's interested in doing.
Visit Newsday at www.newsday.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 115
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 21
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21