Evan Vucci, Associated Press
WASHINGTON — Newt Gingrich's deputy campaign manager says the former House speaker has "tremendous staying power" in the Republican presidential sweepstakes.
Vince Haley also says Gingrich has "bold solutions" for the country's problems.
Haley says, for instance, the energy issue is a strong one for the former congressman, saying Americans "see the failure of government every day when they go to the gas stations."
He wouldn't speculate in a CNN interview on whether any of the GOP hopefuls can secure enough delegates to clinch the party's nod in advance of its convention in August.
Asked what would happen if there's a wide-open convention, Haley said, "I don't think it would be a bad thing."
He did acknowledge that Gingrich's candidacy would be "weakened" significantly if he doesn't win Georgia on Super Tuesday.
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican...
- 2 cops in New York City ambushed, fatally...
- 9 films advance in Oscars shortlist for best...
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by to watch
- The Associated Press' top 10 movies of the year
- 'Hobbit' goes out on top with $90.6 million...
- 10 years on, where did all the tsunami debris...
- Police: Fugitive killed Florida officer
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 49
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 33
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 18
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 16
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,... 16
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' Dec. 25... 15
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by... 11
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 8