The president unveiled his 2013 budget last week, proving that he is indeed a man of faith.
President Obama insists his budget is not a political campaign ploy. It's just a coincidence that it calls for a 133 percent tax hike specifically for Mitt Romney.
Seriously, his budget would completely erase not only the annual deficit but the entire national debt. Of course, he relies on some rosy assumptions, such as a 3.7 percent annual growth in GDP and the discovery of a new process to turn garbage into gold.
Congress hasn't passed a budget in more than 1,000 days. In the real world, we call that living off a Visa card and a prayer, and screening all calls in case it's a collection agency.
For years, Utahns have been pining for a Legislature that doesn't generate crazy ideas such as bills to allow people to kill cats or proposals to create a state machine gun. Well, this year you got your wish. And the result? Boooring!
Thank goodness Sen. Aaron Osmond saved the day with his bill requiring all public school students to recite the Pledge of Allegiance each day as led by a student in each class, not by a teacher or principal over a loudspeaker.
The bill is the latest in a concerted effort not to have state lawmakers micromanage everything that goes on in schools.
Does someone want to tell Utah lawmakers that the guy who wrote the original version of the pledge in 1892, Francis Bellamy, was an avowed socialist?
Maybe the current GOP presidential wrestling match is just a huge conspiracy to boost ratings at this summer's national convention.
If Newt Gingrich is trying to read tea leaves about the future of his presidential bid, he should read the ones about how he could be in trouble in the upcoming Georgia primary, which is his home state.
Of course, Mitt Romney isn't exactly setting the state where he grew up — Michigan — on fire. Maybe this is one of those seasons where the home team just can't win.
Jay Evensen is the associate editor of the Deseret News editorial page. Follow him on Twitter @jayevensen
- My view: hippies, 2 Hell's Angels, one...
- Jay Evensen: On Second Thought: The 1 percent...
- Is it time for our first woman president?
- In our opinion: National security and the...
- Radon, the unrecognized killer
- Government works best when it's not on autopilot
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment delusion
- H. David Burton: Calling on local leaders to...
- Is it time for our first woman president? 55
- Letter: Hillary and FOIA 18
- Letter: No labels in 2016? 17
- In our opinion: The lesson of... 16
- In our opinion: National security and... 16
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 14
- Arthur Cyr: US presidential politics... 13
- John Florez: Businesses should help pay... 10