Patrick Semansky, Associated Press
COLLEGE PARK, Md. — Tianna Hawkins scored 19 points, including the tiebreaking basket with 14 seconds left, and No. 8 Maryland defeated fifth-ranked Duke 63-61 Sunday to end the Blue Devils' bid to go unbeaten in the Atlantic Coast Conference.
Laurin Mincy had 17 points for the Terrapins (23-5, 10-4). Allysa Thomas grabbed 12 rebounds and blocked a last-second shot by Haley Peters to secure the victory.
The game drew a crowd of 15,150, eighth-largest in school history. It was also the eighth-largest crowd to watch an ACC regular-season game.
Elizabeth Williams scored 19 points and Chelsea Gray had 16 for Duke (22-4, 13-1).
After a three-point play by Hawkins gave Maryland a 61-59 lead with 43.6 seconds left, Gray tied it with a driving layup. Hawkins then followed a miss by Thomas with a putback, setting the stage for Duke's final possession.
The Blue Devils worked the ball to Peters in the left corner, but Thomas ran over and swatted the potential 3-point shot out of bounds as time expired.
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 137
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 30
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 17
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15