LAS VEGAS — The Las Vegas Wranglers held on to defeat the Utah Grizzlies 2-1 Saturday night at Orleans Arena.
The Wranglers took a 1-0 lead 1:49 into the game and made it 2-0 10:07 into the second period scoring both goals on the power play from Josh Lunden.
The Grizzlies made it 2-1 with 3:09 left in regulation as Kory Falite crossed the blue line and backhanded the puck into the Las Vegas net.
Utah called timeout with just under a minute left to setup a six-on-five situation with an empty-net and had the puck come just wide at the buzzer as they looked for the late equalizer. Utah outshot Las Vegas 12-4 in the third period and 26-19 in the game.
The Grizzlies and Wranglers meet again Monday at 12:59 a.m. in a game that will start just prior to midnight in Las Vegas.
Utah returns home March 5 to open four-games-in-six-nights set.
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Preparation, hard work help BYU's Koroma earn...
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- Gauging their market value: Jazz trade value...
- Jazz empathetic for fired Kings coach, happy...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- Utes rally but fall short against Kansas 61
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU's Mendenhall addresses Big 12... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 29
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 26
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25