LAS VEGAS — The Las Vegas Wranglers held on to defeat the Utah Grizzlies 2-1 Saturday night at Orleans Arena.
The Wranglers took a 1-0 lead 1:49 into the game and made it 2-0 10:07 into the second period scoring both goals on the power play from Josh Lunden.
The Grizzlies made it 2-1 with 3:09 left in regulation as Kory Falite crossed the blue line and backhanded the puck into the Las Vegas net.
Utah called timeout with just under a minute left to setup a six-on-five situation with an empty-net and had the puck come just wide at the buzzer as they looked for the late equalizer. Utah outshot Las Vegas 12-4 in the third period and 26-19 in the game.
The Grizzlies and Wranglers meet again Monday at 12:59 a.m. in a game that will start just prior to midnight in Las Vegas.
Utah returns home March 5 to open four-games-in-six-nights set.
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- BYU jumps into national spotlight after big...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars held...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- Holmoe assesses the state of the program as...
- How about a Utah-BYU matchup in NCAA tournament?
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the NFL,...
- Skyler Halford helps key BYU's late-season...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 106
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 92
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 77
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 64
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 31
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at... 27
- Haws breaks all-time scoring record in... 24