LAS VEGAS — The Las Vegas Wranglers held on to defeat the Utah Grizzlies 2-1 Saturday night at Orleans Arena.
The Wranglers took a 1-0 lead 1:49 into the game and made it 2-0 10:07 into the second period scoring both goals on the power play from Josh Lunden.
The Grizzlies made it 2-1 with 3:09 left in regulation as Kory Falite crossed the blue line and backhanded the puck into the Las Vegas net.
Utah called timeout with just under a minute left to setup a six-on-five situation with an empty-net and had the puck come just wide at the buzzer as they looked for the late equalizer. Utah outshot Las Vegas 12-4 in the third period and 26-19 in the game.
The Grizzlies and Wranglers meet again Monday at 12:59 a.m. in a game that will start just prior to midnight in Las Vegas.
Utah returns home March 5 to open four-games-in-six-nights set.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37