DOHA, Qatar — U.S. Open champion Sam Stosur reached the Qatar Open final after Marion Bartoli quit during the second set because of an injured right calf.
Stosur won the first set 6-3 Saturday and had two break-point opportunities in the first game of the second set. Bartoli hit a backhand and appeared to wince. She then sought help from the trainer, who examined her calf. Tournament organizers had yet to receive word on the exact nature of the injury.
Stosur will next face the winner of the other semifinal between Australian Open champion Victoria Azarenka or Agenieszka Radwanska.
"You always want to win a match playing the full match out and winning match point," Stosur said. "So any player will always take it if you play a set or two sets. But, of course, in the nature of the sport you want to be able to finish it."
The win was the fourth in a row for the fifth-ranked Stosur, who was coming off a dismal run in her Australia homeland. She was knocked out in the first rounds in Sydney and the Australia Open.
Bartoli said she started feeling the strain in her calf during the third set of her quarterfinal win Friday against Lucie Safarova of the Czech Republic. She is unsure whether she will play in Dubai next week.
"I knew I was not 100 percent going into the match," Bartoli said. "I couldn't put any weight on it, so it really was hurting me on my serve and on every movement when I was having to change direction and push from the feet. So I think it was really good decision to take because the more I was playing the tighter it was getting."
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45