The Cougars are fighting for one of those first- and second-round bye slots in the WCC championship tournament, which would enhance chances at a run for the automatic league bid for the NCAA Tournament.
With a game at Santa Clara Saturday and a showdown at Gonzaga looming Thursday, Dave Rose has to find firepower, especially on the road. He's taking a cautious approach with the return of injured guard Stephen Rogers, and Brock Zylstra did not look a 100 percent in his minutes against the Dons.
Bottom line? Hartsock and Davies need Carlino to be Carlino.
In Thursday's game, BYU did everything possible to give away a win in the final two minutes. Davies was in foul trouble and Hartsock was cramping up and in need of a shot of pickle juice. Suddenly Charles Abouo decided the shot clock was his worst enemy.
Enter Carlino: Dash, dip and done.
That the Basketball Gods gave the UCLA transfer a mulligan this week is a good thing.
Now, can he put on the dog collar again?
- BYU football: Cougars to play Washington in...
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- Former Cougar Dennis Pitta scores first...
- Utah State football: Aggies will take on No....
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher out BCS...
- Report: German president boycotting Sochi...
- BYU basketball report card: Cougars give...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz face quick rematch with Portland
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 93
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 62
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 43
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 31
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass,... 27