Using biased language such as "where teachers really make a killing," a Deseret News reporter recently wrote up what was essentially a press release from the Heritage Foundation validating the anti-public education agenda of this conservative think tank by highlighting a perceived difference in thought concerning teacher pay ("Teachers underpaid? Some say they are overpaid," Feb. 6).
In the case of this "research," this difference seems to reflect political agendas of the various conservative research think tanks regarding public education more than anything conclusive about the value and compensation of educators in a society willing to provide a common education for the public good.
Obviously, in a society where a professional athlete can earn more before halftime than most earn in a year, value is determined by more than IQ or SAT scores and certainly not in comparison to the work done by others with similar IQs. A more realistic approach to teacher pay includes the value-adding experience, abilities, educational background and training as valid indicators of value for compensating educators.
How our society values the work of educators will drive the reality of teacher pay more than the Heritage Foundation's analysis of their contrived system of comparative pay or even the nonsense of using cognitive ability to measure worth or value.
- In our opinion: Perry indictment a concern
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Families battling...
- Scandals hiding in plain sight
- A. Scott Anderson: The world needs America to...
- Charles Krauthammer: The role of a great...
- Michael Gerson: No time to lead from behind
- Mary Barker: The real 'Hunger Games' —...
- Join the discussion: Is Rick Perry's...
- Mary Barker: The real 'Hunger Games'... 81
- Robert Bennett: Contrary to Krugman,... 61
- In our opinion: Perry indictment a concern 56
- Letter: Utah's birthright 49
- Letter: Irreparable damage 48
- In our opinion: Avoid blurring the line... 46
- Join the discussion: Why is young adult... 42
- Michael Gerson: Rand Paul's bogus outreach 37