Eric Thayer, Getty Images)
I find the recent trend of the GOP establishment trying to erode workers rights troubling in Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, Florida and other places. The 2010 election was supposed to be about jobs. But the GOP agenda is clear. The attack on workers must be stopped. And America is standing up to these ideological Republicans.
I am a union member, Teamsters 222. My father was also and now enjoys a comfortable retirement. Unions are directly responsible for the progress of workers' rights for the past 70 years. Now the misguided GOP wants to destroy almost a century of progress.
This is what Martin Luther King Jr. thought about the subject: "In our glorious fight for civil rights, we must guard against being fooled by false slogans as 'Right to work.' It provides no rights, and no works. Its purpose is to destroy labor unions and the freedom to collective bargaining. We demand this fraud be stopped."
- Most popular letters to the editor of 2013
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum wage
- In our opinion: Aging without a family
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: What's to be...
- My view: Utah needs to expand Medicaid
- Charles Krauthammer: U.S. refuses to support...
- Robert Bennett: Create wealth before...
- Letter: Doctors unite