Eric Thayer, Getty Images)
I find the recent trend of the GOP establishment trying to erode workers rights troubling in Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, Florida and other places. The 2010 election was supposed to be about jobs. But the GOP agenda is clear. The attack on workers must be stopped. And America is standing up to these ideological Republicans.
I am a union member, Teamsters 222. My father was also and now enjoys a comfortable retirement. Unions are directly responsible for the progress of workers' rights for the past 70 years. Now the misguided GOP wants to destroy almost a century of progress.
This is what Martin Luther King Jr. thought about the subject: "In our glorious fight for civil rights, we must guard against being fooled by false slogans as 'Right to work.' It provides no rights, and no works. Its purpose is to destroy labor unions and the freedom to collective bargaining. We demand this fraud be stopped."
- From GOP convention to Pokemon Bernie: Last...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Jay's Jokes: Trump's true identity is Batman
- In our opinion: Utah's unique response to the...
- In our opinion: The GOP convention — a...
- John Florez: Justice delayed is justice denied
- My view: More whites should practice meekness...
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 36
- Richard Davis: What will Americans... 35
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 34
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 32
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 28
- Letter: Acting presidential 25
- Letter: Cruz took a stand 24
- My view: More whites should practice... 23