Eric Thayer, Getty Images)
I find the recent trend of the GOP establishment trying to erode workers rights troubling in Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, Florida and other places. The 2010 election was supposed to be about jobs. But the GOP agenda is clear. The attack on workers must be stopped. And America is standing up to these ideological Republicans.
I am a union member, Teamsters 222. My father was also and now enjoys a comfortable retirement. Unions are directly responsible for the progress of workers' rights for the past 70 years. Now the misguided GOP wants to destroy almost a century of progress.
This is what Martin Luther King Jr. thought about the subject: "In our glorious fight for civil rights, we must guard against being fooled by false slogans as 'Right to work.' It provides no rights, and no works. Its purpose is to destroy labor unions and the freedom to collective bargaining. We demand this fraud be stopped."
- In our opinion: The 3 levels of Christmas
- W. Bradford Wilcox: Why the working-class...
- John Florez: Utah's prison relocation is like...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Cogitating on...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: New Christmas...
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net
- My view: Doing away with cursive is bad idea...
- Letter: Patriots or sheep?
- Letter: Patriots or sheep? 62
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net 45
- Susan Roylance: Definition of the... 36
- My view: Chaffetz named... 34
- Jay Evensen: Cuba not likely to change... 34
- My view: Torture, morality and the laws... 30
- Jay Evensen: Should Utah raise its gas... 28
- Letter: Police not the problem 24