Eric Thayer, Getty Images)
I find the recent trend of the GOP establishment trying to erode workers rights troubling in Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, Florida and other places. The 2010 election was supposed to be about jobs. But the GOP agenda is clear. The attack on workers must be stopped. And America is standing up to these ideological Republicans.
I am a union member, Teamsters 222. My father was also and now enjoys a comfortable retirement. Unions are directly responsible for the progress of workers' rights for the past 70 years. Now the misguided GOP wants to destroy almost a century of progress.
This is what Martin Luther King Jr. thought about the subject: "In our glorious fight for civil rights, we must guard against being fooled by false slogans as 'Right to work.' It provides no rights, and no works. Its purpose is to destroy labor unions and the freedom to collective bargaining. We demand this fraud be stopped."
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet
- In our opinion: Par for the president
- Letter: Our great nation?
- Get the names right — or suffer...
- Americans are changing their tune on foreign...
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to inversion is...
- Letter: Attention diverted
- Why religious organizations should be...
- School fees: Is Utah really family... 49
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet 44
- Mary Barker: Our economic discourse... 43
- Richard Davis: The State Board can do... 42
- Constitutional commitments trump tribal... 35
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to... 35
- Join the discussion: Is Common Core... 32
- Letter: Society puzzles 32