Attorney General Sam Olens, Romney's top backer in the state, said he expected the GOP candidate would be back in the state before Super Tuesday.
In-person early voting began Monday and turnout has been light so far.
Absentee and in-person early voting has so far totaled 22,924, according to state elections officials.
In 2008, with both primaries contested there were 247,897 ballots cast early, or 12.2 percent of the total ballots cast.
Republican strategist Tom Perdue said he had detected a lack of enthusiasm as he has talked to fellow Republicans.
"And if we can't get excited about getting this president out of office then we are in big trouble." Perdue said
Follow Shannon McCaffrey: www.twitter.com/smccaffrey13
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound of...
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million viewers
- Obama administration will allow green energy...
- 7 in 10 will need long-term care, ready or not
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 105
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 31
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for... 31
- Colorado court hears discrimination... 28
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Research: Native American genes have... 23
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 23
- Obama declares health care law is... 21