BYU basketball: Matt Carlino's big night saves Y. on the road
The freshman guard scored a career-high 30 points, including 22 in the first half, as the Cougars edged the Dons, 85-84, at War Memorial Gym.
The victory aside, Carlino's ability to drain from long distance was a very encouraging sign for BYU.
Carlino had made just 4-of-34 3-pointers in his previous seven games.
"I was due," Carlino said. "They owed me some."
Who owed him?
"The basketball gods," Carlino replied with a smile.
"He came out and shot the ball really well," senior forward Noah Hartsock said of Carlino. "That's what he can bring to this team. He's also a great passer and ball-handler. He showed that tonight. … When he started going, we wanted him to keep going until they stopped him."
Carlino capped the night by driving to the hoop and making the game-winner with 18.9 seconds left.
"Matt made a great shot and sealed the deal," Hartsock said.
Going into the game, coach Dave Rose and his staff challenged the guards to play aggressively.
"Coaches told us to attack their defense," Carlino said. "That's what we did."
FIRST TIME: BYU won at War Memorial Gym for the first time in four tries. Prior to Thursday's win, the most recent setbacks came in 2000 and 2002.
NOTES: BYU shot 53 percent for the game, including 7-of-17 from 3-point territory. … The Cougars hit eight of their first nine shots, including eight in a row. … Forward Nate Austin fouled out with six minutes remaining in the game after scoring six points on 3-of-4 shooting from the field. … Hartsock left the game in the second half with cramps, but returned for the final minutes.
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake Heaps'...
- Video: Brandon Davies busts a move in...
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late father...
- German center Tibor Pleiss in town to talk...
- Tyler Haws to play with Cleveland Cavaliers...
- Rose: BYU's Collinsworth focused on improving...
- Why is William Penn, a Quaker university in...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's retired AD Glen Tuckett...
- Peavler: Why we can't stop talking... 58
- Morning links: BYU the best option for... 52
- Dick Harmon: Mendenhall opens up about... 49
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 42
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's retired AD Glen... 23
- NBA draft: Utah Jazz select Trey Lyles... 22
- NBA draft: Utes' Delon Wright selected... 17