BYU basketball: Matt Carlino's big night saves Y. on the road
The freshman guard scored a career-high 30 points, including 22 in the first half, as the Cougars edged the Dons, 85-84, at War Memorial Gym.
The victory aside, Carlino's ability to drain from long distance was a very encouraging sign for BYU.
Carlino had made just 4-of-34 3-pointers in his previous seven games.
"I was due," Carlino said. "They owed me some."
Who owed him?
"The basketball gods," Carlino replied with a smile.
"He came out and shot the ball really well," senior forward Noah Hartsock said of Carlino. "That's what he can bring to this team. He's also a great passer and ball-handler. He showed that tonight. … When he started going, we wanted him to keep going until they stopped him."
Carlino capped the night by driving to the hoop and making the game-winner with 18.9 seconds left.
"Matt made a great shot and sealed the deal," Hartsock said.
Going into the game, coach Dave Rose and his staff challenged the guards to play aggressively.
"Coaches told us to attack their defense," Carlino said. "That's what we did."
FIRST TIME: BYU won at War Memorial Gym for the first time in four tries. Prior to Thursday's win, the most recent setbacks came in 2000 and 2002.
NOTES: BYU shot 53 percent for the game, including 7-of-17 from 3-point territory. … The Cougars hit eight of their first nine shots, including eight in a row. … Forward Nate Austin fouled out with six minutes remaining in the game after scoring six points on 3-of-4 shooting from the field. … Hartsock left the game in the second half with cramps, but returned for the final minutes.
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Utes get it done at home again
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes still outstanding from...
- Morning links: ESPN's Chad Ford draft...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 99
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 90
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 55
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 29
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28