The Food and Drug Administration is investigating fake vials of the cancer drug Avastin that may have been sold to doctors in three states. In recent years the agency has warned the public about several pharmaceutical counterfeiting cases:
Jan. 2011 — U.S. prosecutors convict a Belgium man of operating an online pharmacy that sold $1.4 million in counterfeit drugs, including fake erectile dysfunction medicine Viagra.
June 2010 — FDA warns patients about fake versions of the flu medicine Tamiflu sold online. The tablets actually contained an ingredient related to penicillin, which some patients are allergic to.
Jan. 2010 — FDA warns of fake versions of the over-the-counter weight loss pill Alli sold online. The pills contained a prescription-strength weight loss ingredient, rather than the normal drug found in Alli.
Dec. 2006 — FDA says counterfeit versions of several types of diabetes test strips were distributed to pharmacies and stores nationwide. Diabetes test strips are used to measure blood sugar levels, a critical treatment factor for patients with diabetes.
Aug. 2005 — FDA and federal prosecutors indict 11 employees of a Missouri business on charges of conspiring to sell $42 million in counterfeit versions of the cholesterol blockbuster Lipitor. The substance was manufactured in Costa Rica and illegally imported to the U.S., where it was sold to wholesalers.
- Elder L. Tom Perry's cancer terminal, 'has...
- The top 10 highest-paid female CEOs
- Feds release sage grouse conservation plans...
- South Africa shaken by FIFA corruption probe
- Neverland, former home of Michael Jackson, on...
- Photo gallery: Aerial views of floodwaters in...
- Latest on flooding: Body of missing Texas...
- Officials say those Boston snow piles are...
- Elder L. Tom Perry's cancer terminal,... 36
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after... 14
- 'Such a stress reliever': In Rhode... 13
- US to 'fine tune' Iraq strategy in... 12
- Family stress and poverty affect... 12
- Administration asks skeptical judge to... 9
- Census: Number of Americans on public... 9
- Obama urges Senate to renew... 7