Gerald Herbert, Associated Press
FARMINGTON HILLS, Mich. — Aides say Mitt Romney is out and Rick Santorum is doubtful for a March 1 presidential debate in Atlanta sponsored by CNN.
Romney's campaign said Thursday that the former Massachusetts governor has participated in 20 debates and was unable to schedule the Georgia forum. Santorum's campaign said the former Pennsylvania senator also is unlikely to attend.
It was unclear if the debate would go forward with only Newt Gingrich and Ron Paul, assuming they agree to attend.
CNN scheduled the debate a few days before what's known as Super Tuesday, when 10 states hold primaries and caucuses on March 6.
All four Republican candidates are scheduled to debate Feb. 22 in Mesa, Arizona.
Arizona and Michigan hold primaries on Feb. 28.
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an...
- Utah woman among first headed to elite Army...
- On Christmas, Obama marks end of Afghan combat
- New Russian military doctrine says NATO top...
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head...
- Groups weigh in on regional haze plan
- Protesters rally for 2nd night after shooting...
- Obama 's Christmas in Hawaii: Carols, relax...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 130
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 18
- Obama 's Christmas in Hawaii: Carols,... 16
- Going it alone, Obama rocked the boat... 14
- On Christmas, Obama marks end of Afghan... 10
- Senate, CIA agree torture program was... 6