Gerald Herbert, Associated Press
FARMINGTON HILLS, Mich. — Aides say Mitt Romney is out and Rick Santorum is doubtful for a March 1 presidential debate in Atlanta sponsored by CNN.
Romney's campaign said Thursday that the former Massachusetts governor has participated in 20 debates and was unable to schedule the Georgia forum. Santorum's campaign said the former Pennsylvania senator also is unlikely to attend.
It was unclear if the debate would go forward with only Newt Gingrich and Ron Paul, assuming they agree to attend.
CNN scheduled the debate a few days before what's known as Super Tuesday, when 10 states hold primaries and caucuses on March 6.
All four Republican candidates are scheduled to debate Feb. 22 in Mesa, Arizona.
Arizona and Michigan hold primaries on Feb. 28.
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- Should we let wunderkinds drop out of high...
- Taking back family dinner: A healthy,...
- AIG CEO tells college graduates facing...
- Airport TRAX ridership remains strong weeks...
- Did you just win $590M? Get a good team in place
- Tesoro to buy Chevron pipeline near Willard...
- Writers offer personal finance advice to Obama
- Writers offer personal finance advice... 28
- S.L. draws up airport plans 12
- Obama: 'Our focus cannot drift' from... 9
- Should we let wunderkinds drop out of... 7
- West Davis Corridor project unveiled... 6
- Airport TRAX ridership remains strong... 6
- Tea party tax returns show small... 5
- IRS probe ignored most influential... 5