Matt Rourke, Associated Press
CHESTERFIELD, N.J. — A school bus carrying elementary school children collided Thursday with a dump truck, killing a student who is the daughter of a state trooper and injuring several other children, authorities said.
The accident occurred at about 8:30 a.m. at a four-way intersection in the town of Chesterfield, south of Trenton.
A parent who came to pick up her bruised children said there were a number of injuries and that the students were hospitalized.
State police at the scene confirmed the death of the child and identified her as the daughter of a trooper, though no official announcement was immediately made.
School district officials also did not immediately provide any details. A police news conference was planned.
A boy being taken from the scene by his mother said "this big truck just came and slammed right into us." His mother did not want his name used.
The boy said the crash left some of his fellow students with bloody faces.
Students on the bus said they were wearing their seatbelts.
Gov. Chris Christie issued a statement saying his "thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved." He planned to comment further after more information was released on the accident.
The bus ended up upright against a large traffic signal pole at the intersection. The bus was crumpled where it hit the pole.
A large dump truck ran off the road and into a grassy area, where it left deep tire marks.
- Rubber chickens, afros and clowns: A look at...
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- Immigration reform will boost the economy,...
- Ferguson protesters across US peaceful,...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters in...
- Ferguson businesses torched in overnight...
- Steven Powell ordered to serve more jail time...
- Review: 4 shopping apps that will save you money
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 68
- Grand jury won't indict Ferguson cop in... 30
- Obama: Americans want 'new car smell'... 29
- Winners and losers under Obama's... 18
- Ferguson businesses torched in... 17
- Under pressure, Hagel steps down as... 15
- Obama immigration plan good, not great... 13
- Obama heads to Chicago to pitch... 13