MEN'S GOLF: Utah State's Tanner Higham finished tied for seventh place with a 1-under-par total of 143 at the Southern Utah-hosted Pat Hicks Thunderbird Invitational men's golf tournament held at the Sunbrook Golf Club in St. George on Monday and Tuesday.
Utah State finished in ninth place in the 14-team field with a 27-over 603 (298-305). Cal State Fullerton won the team championship with a 1-under 575 (288-287), while Cal State Northridge's Chris Russon took medalist honors with a 4-under 140 (70-70).
Higham, a sophomore from Shelley, Idaho, began the tournament with a 2-under 70 on Monday before carding a 1-over 73 on Tuesday during his final 18 holes in what is his second-best collegiate finish.
Freshman Tanner Jenson (Parker, Colo.) tied for 27th with a 5-over 149 (72-77) for Utah State, while senior Chanse Godderidge (Smithfield, Utah) tied for 59th with an 11-over 155 (77-78). Senior Austin French (Idaho Falls, Idaho) tied for 66th with a 12-over 156 (79-77), and junior Brendan Dennis (Roosevelt, Utah) tied for 85th at 20-over 164 (84-80).
Utah State also had two individuals competing independently in the tournament as freshman Andrew Paulson (Sandy, Utah) tied for 45th with a 9-over 153 (75-78) and freshman Brennan Coburn (Layton, Utah) tied for 59th at 11-over 155 (73-82).
Utah State will return to action on Monday, Feb. 27, when it travels to Chandler, Ariz., to compete in the Washington State hosted Snowman Getaway.
MEN'S GOLF: The Utah Valley University men's golf team moved up two spots Tuesday and finished in 10th place at Southern Utah University's Pat Hicks Invitational tournament held at Sunbrook Golf Club in St. George.
The Wolverines entered the day in 12th and shot a final round 300 — seven shots better than the day before — to move past Weber State and Seattle U.
"We were a little better, but we dug ourselves too big of a hole on Monday," UVU men's golf coach Chris Curran said. "We were just a bit rusty this week. Our short game is what killed us."
Mason Casper shot a 1-over 73 Tuesday and moved up from 28th to a tied for 18 with a two-day total of 147.
Clark Fredrickson (74) and Stratton Schulz (77) finished in a tie for 41st, while Michael Dart (76) tied for 66th and Brayden Eriksen (80) finished 87th.
Cal State Fullerton won the tournament by two shots over host Southern Utah, and College of Charleston and Cal Poly tied for third.
Cal State Northridge's Chris Russo won the tournament with a 4-under par. The Wolverines will have two weeks off before heading to the Snowman Getaway Invitational in Goodyear, Ariz., on Feb. 27-28.
- Big 12 commissioner: Some in league feel...
- Former Cardinals exec sentenced to 4 years in...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 122
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 67
- Morning links: National college... 66
- Report: Houston AD meets with Pac-12... 60
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 48
- Annual instate college basketball... 37