Jazz Thunderstruck in Oklahoma City, lose 111-85.
Jazz have lackluster outing in 3rd game in 3 nights
Starting shooting guard Raja Bell pointed out that Utah didn't execute. Players didn't set screens, and they were beaten to many loose balls (outrebounded 49-42).
The Thunder also blocked 13 shots, contributing mightily to Utah's poor shooting night (35.6 percent compared to OKC's 54.5 percent).
"We missed shots," Bell said. "But there were plenty of possessions where I think we just chose not to run (our system) effectively, and you can't win like that."
Especially not against a team that now sports a 22-6 record.
Out of frustration during the game, Bell looked at Watson and told him, "We do dumb (bleep)." That upsets him more than losing.
"I did not think we played the way we needed to play tonight to win," Bell said. "When we don't we'll find ourselves on the short end of the stick.
"And," he added, "when we do at least we give ourself a chance. If a team beats you, a team beats you.
When you don't (play), you saw the score. That's a good team. We can't afford not to do things the right way."
That's a principle that exists without regard to how many nights a team has played in a row.
"I'm not going to blame it on fatigue," Hayward said. "I think it's just not acceptable whatever the reason was. We're professionals, so back-to-back-to-back is our job. We've got to be prepared. We've got to be able to play."
Even knowing his team has lost seven of nine games, Corbin added an optimistic outlook.
"They are a good ballclub," he said of the Thunder. "We are OK and we will be ready to go. We will get ourselves back together."
If not, the Wizards might ask the NBA to reschedule the Jazz to play at their place this year, too.
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Morning links: BYU letting fans tailgate;...
- ESPN highlights BYU basketball's roster...
- From dating advice to awkward returns: 10 of...
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still dismissed...
- J.J. O'Brien's basketball career comes full...
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 101
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 52
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 41
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 33
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27