Jazz Thunderstruck in Oklahoma City, lose 111-85.
Jazz have lackluster outing in 3rd game in 3 nights
Starting shooting guard Raja Bell pointed out that Utah didn't execute. Players didn't set screens, and they were beaten to many loose balls (outrebounded 49-42).
The Thunder also blocked 13 shots, contributing mightily to Utah's poor shooting night (35.6 percent compared to OKC's 54.5 percent).
"We missed shots," Bell said. "But there were plenty of possessions where I think we just chose not to run (our system) effectively, and you can't win like that."
Especially not against a team that now sports a 22-6 record.
Out of frustration during the game, Bell looked at Watson and told him, "We do dumb (bleep)." That upsets him more than losing.
"I did not think we played the way we needed to play tonight to win," Bell said. "When we don't we'll find ourselves on the short end of the stick.
"And," he added, "when we do at least we give ourself a chance. If a team beats you, a team beats you.
When you don't (play), you saw the score. That's a good team. We can't afford not to do things the right way."
That's a principle that exists without regard to how many nights a team has played in a row.
"I'm not going to blame it on fatigue," Hayward said. "I think it's just not acceptable whatever the reason was. We're professionals, so back-to-back-to-back is our job. We've got to be prepared. We've got to be able to play."
Even knowing his team has lost seven of nine games, Corbin added an optimistic outlook.
"They are a good ballclub," he said of the Thunder. "We are OK and we will be ready to go. We will get ourselves back together."
If not, the Wizards might ask the NBA to reschedule the Jazz to play at their place this year, too.
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 75
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 27
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 26
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14