OREM — Ben Aird's double-double helped the Utah Valley men's basketball team extend its school-record winning streak to 11 games with a 70-60 victory over Montana Tech on Monday night.
Aird, the Great West Conference player of the week, scored a career-high 25 points and had 10 rebounds for the Wolverines (18-10). Holton Hunsaker sank five 3-pointers and scored 17 points, and Keith Thompson and Isiah Williams added 13 points apiece for UVU.
"I knew MT was going to be a tough matchup, but I was real pleased with how hard we played and competed and worked through the game," said UVU head coach Dick Hunsaker. "We made a lot of good decisions tonight on the court as evidenced by our season-low four turnovers."
Daniel Simon's 13 points paced the NAIA Orediggers (11-12), who have lost seven of eight.
Montana Tech trailed only 57-50 after Brian Cummings made two free throws with 10:01 left.
But the Wolverines sealed the victory with an 11-0 spurt keyed by six points from Thompson for a 68-50 advantage with 4:10 remaining.
Utah Valley committed only four turnovers while forcing 11 but was outrebounded 37-30 in its final nonconference game of the season.
WESTERN ILLINOIS 76, SOUTHERN UTAH 70: At Cedar City, Western Illinois used a late surge to slip past Southern Utah.
In a contest that saw a dozen lead changes, the Leathernecks outscored the Thunderbirds 9-4 over the final two minutes to come out on top.
Carli Moreland had 20 points and 11 rebounds to lead the Thunderbirds, who also got 12 points and 10 boards from Kimie Hawkins. Andrea Jones scored 15 points while playing all 40 minutes for SUU (6-20, 2-13 Summit League).
Saule Kontautaite knocked down four 3-pointers on her way to 18 points for the visitors.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 20
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19