OREM — Ben Aird's double-double helped the Utah Valley men's basketball team extend its school-record winning streak to 11 games with a 70-60 victory over Montana Tech on Monday night.
Aird, the Great West Conference player of the week, scored a career-high 25 points and had 10 rebounds for the Wolverines (18-10). Holton Hunsaker sank five 3-pointers and scored 17 points, and Keith Thompson and Isiah Williams added 13 points apiece for UVU.
"I knew MT was going to be a tough matchup, but I was real pleased with how hard we played and competed and worked through the game," said UVU head coach Dick Hunsaker. "We made a lot of good decisions tonight on the court as evidenced by our season-low four turnovers."
Daniel Simon's 13 points paced the NAIA Orediggers (11-12), who have lost seven of eight.
Montana Tech trailed only 57-50 after Brian Cummings made two free throws with 10:01 left.
But the Wolverines sealed the victory with an 11-0 spurt keyed by six points from Thompson for a 68-50 advantage with 4:10 remaining.
Utah Valley committed only four turnovers while forcing 11 but was outrebounded 37-30 in its final nonconference game of the season.
WESTERN ILLINOIS 76, SOUTHERN UTAH 70: At Cedar City, Western Illinois used a late surge to slip past Southern Utah.
In a contest that saw a dozen lead changes, the Leathernecks outscored the Thunderbirds 9-4 over the final two minutes to come out on top.
Carli Moreland had 20 points and 11 rebounds to lead the Thunderbirds, who also got 12 points and 10 boards from Kimie Hawkins. Andrea Jones scored 15 points while playing all 40 minutes for SUU (6-20, 2-13 Summit League).
Saule Kontautaite knocked down four 3-pointers on her way to 18 points for the visitors.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 108
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 71
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 43
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is... 21