Richard Drew, Associated Press
NEW YORK — Jenny Packham directed her own movie at New York Fashion Week.
Bluesy music played and smoke drifted down the runway before the British designer's film noir-inspired fall collection debuted Monday. Backstage, before the show, Packham said she was attracted to the strong personalities of the 1940s genre's leading ladies.
"The last few seasons have been very sort of ethereal and quite soft for us," Packham said. "This is actually a little bit of a harder edge to the collection."
The result was a glamorous, red carpet-ready line of dresses and gowns. Packham is a favorite of the Duchess of Cambridge, formerly Kate Middleton, and often dresses celebrities.
Packham chose black and white, red and pale pinks and blues. Models wore black Christian Louboutin high heels, the signature red soles popping on the runway at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week at the Lincoln Center tents.
Up close pieces were painstakingly embellished with gold sequins and silver crystals. The sleek body-hugging silhouettes in silk chiffons and crepes calls to mind screen sirens like Barbara Stanwyck and Lauren Bacall.
The final look was a stunning, one-sleeved deep red satin dress with crystal-encrusted tulle that covered the front and snaked around the hip.
- 5 things to know about the Super Bowl and sex...
- Over 100 missing, 14 dead as strong quake...
- US adds just 151k jobs in January; 4.9...
- Manhattan crane topples into street killing...
- Florida readies for a fight with Zika virus
- Va. Tech murder suspects left few clues to...
- Once a bromance, now a brawl: Trump and Cruz...
- Thousands more Syrians rush toward Turkey to...
- US adds just 151k jobs in January; 4.9... 28
- Cruz tops Trump in Iowa; Clinton,... 22
- Obama pushes for every child to learn... 21
- Cruz, Rubio eye NH momentum as Dems... 15
- Donald Trump calls for Iowa election... 14
- Americans are packing classes in how to... 12
- Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul quits 2016 GOP... 12
- Once a bromance, now a brawl: Trump and... 10