Note: Enter to win a $50 Amazon gift card in our 1A Playoffs Hoops Picks contest.
The first basketball state tournament of the year gets underway this week with the 1A girls, and thanks to some surprising results at the Region 20 tournament, some of the best games are also the first games. Rich and Bryce Valley meet in a juggernaut first round game that could’ve easily been a state title game had the Region 20 tournament played out differently.
Here’s a team-by-team look at all 16 teams in the state tournament, and what to expect:
Bryce Valley Mustangs (17-3)
Coach: Tyson Brinkerhoff
How qualified: Finished first in Region 20 with a 12-0 regular season record, but heads into the state tournament as the No. 4 seed after a fourth-place finish at the Region 20 tournament.
Playoff opener: vs. Rich, Wednesday, 8:30 p.m. (At Sevier Valley Center)
Best preseason victory: A 32-29 win over South Sevier at the Cowboy Classic on Dec. 9.
Most important region victory: A 56-52 win at Wayne on Feb. 1.
Whitni Wyrett, Jr., Center (16.1 ppg)
Sydney Cornforth, Sr., Forward (11.7 ppg)
Shelby Cornforth, So., Forward (7.9 ppg)
Janette Pollock, So., Guard (4.6 ppg)
Makelle Pollock, Jr., Guard (4.3 ppg)
Scoring offense: 48.1 ppg (7th in 1A)
Scoring defense: 38.9 ppg (11th in 1A)
Last state championship: None
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Rich in first round.
Duchesne Eagles (9-11)
Coach: Jared Torgerson
How qualified: Finished second in Region 21 with a 6-2 record
Playoff opener: vs. Piute, Wednesday, 11:30 a.m. (At Sevier Valley Center)
Best preseason victory: A 44-40 win against San Juan at the Wayne Holiday Classic on Dec. 29.
Most important region victory: A 44-40 win at Tabiona on Jan. 26.
Paige Ginn, Jr. (14.3 ppg)
Baylee Thompson, Jr. (9.7 ppg)
Shay Grant, Jr. (6.2 ppg)
Breanne Bird, Jr. (2.9 ppg)
Xela Rowley, Sr. (2.1 ppg)
Scoring offense: 40.1 ppg (15th in 1A)
Scoring defense: 39.8 ppg (15th in 1A)
Last state championship: None
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Piute in first round.
Dugway Mustangs (10-10)
Coach: Brett Andrus
How qualified: Finished first in Region 18 with an 8-0 record
Playoff opener: vs. Manila, Wednesday, 2:30 p.m. (At Sevier Valley Center)
Best preseason victory: A 44-26 win at Wasatch Academy on Dec. 2.
Most important region victory: A 46-40 win at Tintic on Jan. 24.
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real possibility...
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will...
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU fans...
- Nicholls State assistant football coach is...
- BYU's Bronson Kaufusi eager to display new...
- Reports: Former BYU star Brett Keisel agrees...
- BYU camp report: Taysom Hill throws a pair of...
- Rock On: BYU soccer star gone, not forgotten
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 131
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 92
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 70
- ESPN lists BYU and Utah State as... 64
- Dick Harmon: Will Utah State, BYU be... 46
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 44
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 40
- BYU's offense 'too sloppy' in scrimmage 29