Note: Enter to win a $50 Amazon gift card in our 1A Playoffs Hoops Picks contest.
The first basketball state tournament of the year gets underway this week with the 1A girls, and thanks to some surprising results at the Region 20 tournament, some of the best games are also the first games. Rich and Bryce Valley meet in a juggernaut first round game that could’ve easily been a state title game had the Region 20 tournament played out differently.
Here’s a team-by-team look at all 16 teams in the state tournament, and what to expect:
Bryce Valley Mustangs (17-3)
Coach: Tyson Brinkerhoff
How qualified: Finished first in Region 20 with a 12-0 regular season record, but heads into the state tournament as the No. 4 seed after a fourth-place finish at the Region 20 tournament.
Playoff opener: vs. Rich, Wednesday, 8:30 p.m. (At Sevier Valley Center)
Best preseason victory: A 32-29 win over South Sevier at the Cowboy Classic on Dec. 9.
Most important region victory: A 56-52 win at Wayne on Feb. 1.
Whitni Wyrett, Jr., Center (16.1 ppg)
Sydney Cornforth, Sr., Forward (11.7 ppg)
Shelby Cornforth, So., Forward (7.9 ppg)
Janette Pollock, So., Guard (4.6 ppg)
Makelle Pollock, Jr., Guard (4.3 ppg)
Scoring offense: 48.1 ppg (7th in 1A)
Scoring defense: 38.9 ppg (11th in 1A)
Last state championship: None
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Rich in first round.
Duchesne Eagles (9-11)
Coach: Jared Torgerson
How qualified: Finished second in Region 21 with a 6-2 record
Playoff opener: vs. Piute, Wednesday, 11:30 a.m. (At Sevier Valley Center)
Best preseason victory: A 44-40 win against San Juan at the Wayne Holiday Classic on Dec. 29.
Most important region victory: A 44-40 win at Tabiona on Jan. 26.
Paige Ginn, Jr. (14.3 ppg)
Baylee Thompson, Jr. (9.7 ppg)
Shay Grant, Jr. (6.2 ppg)
Breanne Bird, Jr. (2.9 ppg)
Xela Rowley, Sr. (2.1 ppg)
Scoring offense: 40.1 ppg (15th in 1A)
Scoring defense: 39.8 ppg (15th in 1A)
Last state championship: None
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Piute in first round.
Dugway Mustangs (10-10)
Coach: Brett Andrus
How qualified: Finished first in Region 18 with an 8-0 record
Playoff opener: vs. Manila, Wednesday, 2:30 p.m. (At Sevier Valley Center)
Best preseason victory: A 44-26 win at Wasatch Academy on Dec. 2.
Most important region victory: A 46-40 win at Tintic on Jan. 24.
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Best of the West: Shifting teams around after...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Morning links: ESPN's Chad Ford draft...
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes still outstanding from...
- Utes get it done at home again
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 62
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 37
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Utes get it done at home again 21
- Masina, Gustin develop friendship that... 20
- Matt Carlino playing much the same at... 19