BERKELEY, Calif. -- It wasn't the cross country flight. Nor was it lingering fatigue from last week's triple-overtime win at Virginia.
Instead, Georgetown players said the main reason for their sloppy play in a 60-49 second-round National Invitation Tournament loss was California's smothering defense.Sean Lampley scored 15 of his 21 points in the second half for defending NIT champion Cal, which held the Hoyas to 28 percent shooting and forced them into 16 turnovers Tuesday night.
The Golden Bears (18-14) play Wake Forest at Greensboro, N.C., in the third round.
WAKE FOREST 72, NEW MEXICO 65: At Winston-Salem, N.C., Robert O'Kelley scored 14 points and Josh Howard 13 for the Demon Deacons, who won despite 29 points by New Mexico's Lamont Long. Size helped Wake Forest take a 43-30 halftime lead, but New Mexico (18-14) used a 13-0 run to rally. Long scored 13 of New Mexico's first 20 second-half points.
N.C. STATE 60, ARIZONA ST. 57: At Raleigh, N.C., Kenny Inge scored 19 points, including the go-ahead dunk with 57.5 seconds left, for North Carolina State. The Wolfpack (19-12) had to overcome a 32-point effort from Eddie House. But House missed the front end of a 1-and-1 with 1:18 left that could have given Arizona State (19-13) a three-point lead, then missed a last-second shot after breaking open in the corner.
MISSISSIPPI 70, SW MISSOURI STATE 48: At Oxford, Miss., Marcus Hicks scored 16 and Rahim Lockhart had 13 points and 13 rebounds for Ole Miss (19-13). The Bears (23-11) trailed just 49-39 with 12:25 left, but the Rebels scored 10 straight points to lead by 20.
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- LDS Church leaders continue to emphasize...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Layton man attempts to duct tape, rape woman,...
- The truth about addiction
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 52
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 37
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 28
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Roosevelt girl, 8, recovering from pit... 15
- State says it will fund Planned... 14
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters... 13
- Precedents — and exceptions... 12