BERKELEY, Calif. -- It wasn't the cross country flight. Nor was it lingering fatigue from last week's triple-overtime win at Virginia.
Instead, Georgetown players said the main reason for their sloppy play in a 60-49 second-round National Invitation Tournament loss was California's smothering defense.Sean Lampley scored 15 of his 21 points in the second half for defending NIT champion Cal, which held the Hoyas to 28 percent shooting and forced them into 16 turnovers Tuesday night.
The Golden Bears (18-14) play Wake Forest at Greensboro, N.C., in the third round.
WAKE FOREST 72, NEW MEXICO 65: At Winston-Salem, N.C., Robert O'Kelley scored 14 points and Josh Howard 13 for the Demon Deacons, who won despite 29 points by New Mexico's Lamont Long. Size helped Wake Forest take a 43-30 halftime lead, but New Mexico (18-14) used a 13-0 run to rally. Long scored 13 of New Mexico's first 20 second-half points.
N.C. STATE 60, ARIZONA ST. 57: At Raleigh, N.C., Kenny Inge scored 19 points, including the go-ahead dunk with 57.5 seconds left, for North Carolina State. The Wolfpack (19-12) had to overcome a 32-point effort from Eddie House. But House missed the front end of a 1-and-1 with 1:18 left that could have given Arizona State (19-13) a three-point lead, then missed a last-second shot after breaking open in the corner.
MISSISSIPPI 70, SW MISSOURI STATE 48: At Oxford, Miss., Marcus Hicks scored 16 and Rahim Lockhart had 13 points and 13 rebounds for Ole Miss (19-13). The Bears (23-11) trailed just 49-39 with 12:25 left, but the Rebels scored 10 straight points to lead by 20.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Ex-social worker to plead guilty to sex with...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Two rescued after falling through ice at...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 38
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 26
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 22
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14