CHARLOTTE -- Rae Carruth's 6-week-old son was released to the mother of the girlfriend the former Carolina Panthers receiver is charged with conspiring to kill.
Chancellor Lee Adams was released Friday to Cherica Adams' mother, Saundra, who has temporary legal custody of him, Carolinas Medical Center spokesman Scott White said.Cherica Adams was Carruth's girlfriend and pregnant when fatally wounded in a drive-by shooting Nov. 16. Carruth and three other men are charged in her slaying.
DNA tests released Thursday confirmed Carruth is the baby's father. A judge ordered Carruth's assets frozen, except $35,000 he can use to help pay for lawyers.
The baby was delivered 10 weeks prematurely after Adams was shot. She died Dec. 14.
Carruth's mother, Theodry Carruth, said she and Adams' mother visited the baby for the first time late Thursday.
"I think there was a common bond in that room -- that baby," Theodry Carruth said. "Being able to stand in that room with them and pray made all the difference in the world."
While prosecutors haven't said why they think Adams was killed, Saundra Adams said Carruth initially wanted Cherica to have an abortion when he learned she was pregnant.
Prosecutors said Carruth instigated a murder plot and they plan to seek the death penalty.
Carruth, 25, the Panthers' first-round draft choice in 1997, earned about $38,000 per game until he was waived by the team earlier this month and suspended indefinitely by the NFL. Carruth is the first active player to be charged with murder.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah...
- Too many boaters not stopping for quagga...
- Jordan board calls for special bond election...
- Family of slain man who killed police K9...
- Crash launches engine 100 feet, but seat belt...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 14